Why I've Canceled My Auxy Subscription (Tl;dr: Thanks for the memories but I'm moving on)

Things are really going to need to change, or the app is SCREWED.

A variety of sounds (and not just more synths, I mean more instruments), better dev communication, pretty much everything Austin said, etc, etc.

I’m still paying for a $6.89 (and that’s with tax) monthly subscription, because I keep getting my hopes up about sound packs, “Maybe this next one will be different”, but I always end up just finding the new ones… okay. Not good, not bad, just okay. They’re sounds I can find pretty much anywhere else.

You’re gonna hafta do something about this, lads, or it’s not gonna be a pretty sight. People are leaving, people are getting bored, people are just straight up frustrated.

And we shouldn’t be.

I’m not saying we’re confined here forever, of course we aren’t. All of us have plans to get bigger and better DAWs, even if we’re not there yet. But we still shouldn’t have these frustrations, we should at least feel satisfied with the sounds and all that we get, and lately, judging by the reactions, we can barely manage a “They’re alright, I guess.”

I love Auxy, yeah? I love this app. It’s fun and even after two to three years of doing this, I’m still finding new things to play around with, but… c’mon, guys. You gotta, REALLY gotta, step it up a bit.

5 Likes

For me, it’s not really about the sounds. Most of it is what I discussed in the first post. I don’t hold the issues with Apple’s interfaces and the drop of iCloud against them. It’s something that for me was not what I needed at the time when my phone decided to break so bad I needed to restore with no hope of using the backup I had since it was on iOS 11 when iOS 13 was almost out. It’s more so the fact that the app itself hasn’t drawn in anything and is just stagnating.

2 Likes

The last update was a year ago. There isn’t anything new to bring in new users and there is less and less done to hold on to existing users. We need some changes, better sounds for sure are an issue, and what’s the point of the feedback thread of they don’t listen to it.

1 Like

I’ve made well over what I’ve paid for the subscription, and without Auxy, I doubt I would have had those same opportunities, so for that I’m grateful. Having said that, I think it’s time I begin to move on as well. I’d have a better time just focusing on my actual projects in Ableton in half the time.

I really wish it hadn’t reached this point, I know the devs did their best over the years. Though I have to agree that this app as a service to maximize income, in contrast to offering up front costs, was not the best move for the end user. The latter being what ultimately matters to prolong the longevity of the product.

5 Likes

Wow, you sure know how to use ableton. That’s fast for a project. For me it’s the opposite and that’s why it’s a bit harder to leave auxy.

i 100 percent agree with everything you’re saying. true legend and it’s sad to see you go. i too am thinking of cancelling my sub

1 Like

To sum up your experience being promoted by Auxy:

• You miss being featured by Auxy as a way to get more exposure, which you have “greatly benefited from” in the past
  • Getting featured has been a pain in the ass because the exposure has lead to some people with no followers posting your tracks on their profiles
  • Some guy uploaded your track to Spotify and somehow got on a playlist that generated 140k plays
  • Being heavily promoted by Auxy sucks
  • Having people look up to you is annoying and you prefer to rather just be an artist and create music

:wink:

My thoughts:
It seems like the really annoying thing was that one guy stole a track, distributed it to Spotify and got lucky getting featured in a playlist. This is of course unfortunate, but I can assure you it’s not something happening to Auxy users only. There are tons of copyright disputes on every major platform every day. The best way to prevent these issues is to be the first person uploading to these platforms.

I think we could have done a better job clarifying that people are not allowed to steal tracks, and that is why we locked the export feature for demo tracks a while back.

Overall, it seems to me that the value of getting your name and tracks out to hundreds of thousands of people is still worth the occasional guy stealing the track and eventually having to take it down and not getting any money for it. If a track would really take off, or end up as the beat for some big rap hit or something, you would be able to actually process and retain the rights to that track. And this would be great given how hard it is to gain exposure as an artist today.

2 Likes

I might’ve worded it a bit harshly :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

The parts about getting featured were minor problems. The stolen aspect I eventually got used to, but the one about 140k plays still rattles me a bit. I’ve been very lucky to receive the exposure i’ve been given, and I’m very greatful, but sometimes i think other users thought there were absolutely no side effects and i wanted to show them the rest of the story. I’m open to discuss this privately if nessecary.

@lenberg any particular reason why this thread was unlisted? I feel like it’s important to see what your users are saying and not pretend like everything is ok.

2 Likes

Yup just about sums it up

2 Likes

I want to thank you for sharing the other side to the story. I never had a particularly fond opinion of you for this exact reason. I’m honestly grateful things have come to light that make me reevaluate my behaviors towards you, and wanted to offer a sincere apology for being a jerk in the past.

2 Likes

It appears my comments have been deemed provocative so I will try and be respectful as all of my comments are in hopes of improving auxy. This thread is very important for the auxy community to see as it would allow true and honest feedback for the better of auxy. I won’t intervene heavily as it has been seen as too harsh so all I will say is that some things should change if a healthy community is to be maintained.

2 Likes

I have unlisted these threads because they are full of hyperbolic statements and false claims, which will be very hard to make sense of for someone who has just joined the community. It seems to me that there is a handfull of people who keep coming back to these topics and promoting the notion that Auxy does not want to improve, does not listen to feedback, has unfair pricing, etc. It also appears that the people interested in this discussion are already on this thread.

By reframing the same feedback over and over, you force me to come back and argue about stuff, even though I have already shared my thoughts previously. On a general level, anyone is welcome to share their thoughts on anything, but what is really frustrating is when things keep coming up because a few people cannot accept the fact that we are not going to change things based on their feedback.

For instance, you might not like subscriptions, but we are not going to change our model, so you can either accept it or decide that you want to use some other app that has a different model. For instance, Garageband is free so that could be a good alternative if you’re concerned about price.

You are welcome to share your thoughts along the lines of “sorry guys but I hate subscriptions so I’m gonna have to go with Garageband instead” but please quit arguing for years about how our decisions are not good for the business. You frankly have no idea what you are talking about with regards to the general case.

I am not gonna answer every opinion posted in this thread but I will add some comments below to clarify my reasoning.

2 Likes

I mean… You’re basically saying that your phone broke down and that made you really upset with Auxy. The app is making frequent backups to iCloud, regardless of the iCloud sync support, so not sure what you’re missing in terms of backups.

2 Likes

First you say that Auxy has “stagnated” and then you go on to complain about changes we’re making to improve the app. Makes no sense to me. If something makes you very disappointed and frustrated, please quit doing it and focus on something else. Maybe get some sleep instead of working yourself into tears every night.

1 Like

Why not? This works well for me and no one else has reported this issue.

2 Likes

What do you mean by this?

1 Like

It is the same delay so it is impossible for it to sound different.

2 Likes

The reverb level curve was fixed in a previous update and it is the same reverb so it can definitely sound exactly the same as before.

2 Likes