Why do the sound packs keep being so similar?

I totally agree, I have decided to let my subscription lapse as I move on to nanostudio 2 and ableton. I’ll just have my old sound packs once it ends.

2 Likes

But what about the person picking up Auxy/music production for the first time?
Isn’t that also who the app is geared towards?

1 Like

The pro moniker is a little confusing though. Maybe I’m just reading the tea leaves a bit too literally…

4 Likes

I agree with you about the constant similarities between the sound packs. (Even though I am interested in creating future bass and possibly synthwave) I do, however, encourage you to keep your subscription and wait a couple more months for the Auxy team to respond to the sudden wave of complaints that have surfaced over the past week or two. I think they will change for the better very soon now that all these complaints and recommendations have been made. But then again, maybe they will continue to keep their heads buried in the sand to all the comments the Auxy community makes.

1 Like

I definitely agree that the app is geared towards an audience newer to music production, but I’m not sure exactly what you mean here… All I’m saying is that there is a lot of variety among sounds, and there’s nothing wrong with using them stock. It just takes practice to tweak them in a way unique to your style and to make them sound different than all the other instruments. For a new user, similar sounding instruments shouldn’t be a problem or a roadblock. As they progress, they will learn which ones they like and how to work with them.

1 Like

you literally said that some of the sounds are similar.

I dont have a problem with the sounds themselves, but as the thread title suggests, people are starting to find a lot of the sounds in new packs are more like rehashes of older sounds instead of providing people with new sounds.

The devs should just give out the sounds people want to have instead of making everyone jump through hoops to find some convoluted way to make it. They aren’t catering to the new audiences that just want to have the sounds they want to have available.

At that point you really aren’t offering anything that other apps or synths don’t already have. I would rather just find an app with a sampler or said instruments as presets and use that.

1 Like

I see what you mean, and I need to clarify, as, now looking at it, it isn’t so obvious.

What I meant to say is that there is a lot of variety in the types of instruments. For example, we have all sorts of basses, pads, strings, guitars, bass guitars, pluck and mallet things, keys, etc. However, many of the instruments in each of these subcategories sound similar to other instruments in the same subcategory.

Now, to your point, “the devs should just give out the sounds people want instead of making everyone jump through hoops to find some convoluted way to make it.”

Do the other programs and synthesizers you mention actually come with the sounds you want as presets? If so, that may be great for you, but more experienced producers will consider the presets that you used as “stock”. I can’t think of a single developer that provides every single preset you want, and if they do, you’re going to fall into the same rut eventually, when you want more advanced sounds than the stock presets: “Why can’t the devs just program the sounds in (insert synthesizer plugin) for me??”

Every single producer that I can think of has their own way of making their sounds, and from an outsider’s perspective, it looks like jumping through hoops, and “convoluted”. To the artist though, they know their sound in and out and don’t jump through hoops to make it.

Sounds aren’t everything, and Auxy is nowhere close to a synthesizer. You’re paying for the workflow and the availability of on-the-go music making. The app doesn’t claim to be an advanced DAW with every single feature or preset out there.

If you want a powerful synthesizer, you’re looking in the wrong place. If you want more presets that fit your needs, get a desktop DAW and plugins that have a larger preset library and click a few times.

4 Likes

Those some fantastic points

1 Like

I absolutely agree they shouldn’t provide every single sound conceivable, that’s not what i’m asking. But people have asked for certain sounds/genres, with there being a whole thread about what the community wants to see sound wise, and every month when it comes to releasing a new pack, none of those wishes are ever fulfilled.

Sorry to keep bringing up dadmo here, but

That’s a year and a half that i’m sure a lot of people, regardless if you’re new or old, would rather there just be a preset for that you can then dial further. No one should have to spend a year and a half to make a guitar that I can pull up and tweak in a few seconds as a preset.
(instead of making everyone have to go through a 12 step process for a sound with all of its individual tweaks, give them up to step 6 and let them figure out/tweak the rest)

Another example is @Twizard. They’ve been asking for neuro basses forever since auxy doesn’t really have options when it comes to those types of sounds. They’ve been working on them quite a bit in auxy, but since they’ve picked up FL, I’ve already heard a handful of crazy neuro/reese basses from their wips n stuff.

I understand that people should try to learn the in’s and out’s of auxy and figure out it’s capabilities, but creating hurdles for everyone that could be easily solved with a sound pack feels like it takes away from the “easy to learn” idea of the app.

btw, I dont think you’re “wrong” or something like that, just 2 different perspectives on the same topic here.

(apologies if the content of my replies feel like they’re jumping around. I’m not a great at knowing how to flow stuff)

3 Likes

Yeah but we need sounds like that so people who arnt as good at sound design can have sounds like that

1 Like

I realize I interpreted your previous reply incorrectly. My bad. I agree here, and I definitely think instruments better suited for a wider variety of genres than we already have would be great. The dadmo/twizard examples are great for this.

Now that I think about it, it took me a while to get the bass layers right for cyberpunk styled tracks that I’m hoping to release soon. Almost 3 months of on-and-off work before I was satisfied, I think. About half of that was learning the composition of the genre, but the other half was learning how to manipulate basses. I think for that specific example, there are some instruments that clearly stand out as ready for the job, like panda and scorpio, but others weren’t as obvious. I’ve also had the same experience trying to make a clean Reese base, and while beam seems like the obvious choice, it just gets muddy whenever I try to work with it. (Maybe it’s just me).

My process certainly wasn’t as time intensive as Dadmo’s, though. I think it just comes down to the genre of music you’re trying to make, and how far the available instruments are from what you’re trying to make.

I don’t really think the devs are purposely trying to create hurdles here though. In my opinion, the hurdles have already been there in that we haven’t been able to make such sounds from the beginning. Adding new sound packs creates potential to overcome those hurdles, but at the same time, they may not do much if the sounds themselves are not contributing towards “overcoming the hurdle”.

Honestly, I’m liking this discussion. I also don’t think you’re wrong. While I do see things from a different perspective, I definitely agree with your points.

2 Likes

This is the kind of dialogue that we should see regularly, folks. :+1:

4 Likes

Another thing I might bring up is - Yes it’s possible to make new sounds by using the Auxy 6 features- but a lot of people just aren’t at a level where they can do that. Yes the app is called Auxy Pro… but let’s be real here, there are a lot of aspiring, inexperienced musicians who use this as their first platform.

1 Like

that’s their fault then, there’s nothing stopping them from learning how to use those parameters. they’re very straightforward.

true

Auxyusician: WE NEED MORE UNIQUE SOUNDS!!!

Me: haha beat app go boom boom

1 Like

I think one reason you feel that sounds are similar is because there is a limited number of sounds that people actually use. I.e. you can group most sounds into fairly distinctive categories. Another reason is that a sound is not just a sound, but heavily dependent on how it’s played and modulated over time. For instance, an electric guitar has a pretty simple basic tone, but the magic happens when the guitar is played in a certain way. And it’s very hard to recreate this type of performance with the note editor in Auxy. So even if it’s easy to say “we want rock guitars”, you realize that it’s impossible to create something meaningful when you start working on it.

I also think that very complex sounds make little sense in a preset based context. Sure, we can make sounds that are really unique, but that would also make them harder to use and they would be easier to recognize. So we think of Auxy more as a modern and powerful piano in that its main strength is not to make the most unique and complex sounds, but that’s it’s really efficient when it comes to making beats and melodies that sound great.

I understand that some people really appreciate the sound designing aspects of music production, but on a general level I would be really stoked to see more people working on developing their composition skills rather than looking for new sounds. Compare to how some people play the same piano that we’ve had for hundreds of years and still make great music with it. Or guitars for that matter. So maybe more sounds is not what you need to make better music, if that’s your goal.

16 Likes

Limitations breed creativity, of course.

6 Likes

This is my first platform, and I think I have a pretty decent grasp of all the ways to modify sounds. I do, however, have about 7 months of experience to go off of.

Wow, thats powerful. I’m gonna have to quote you on that sometime.

1 Like