Who invented the term "wub?"

I’m genuinely curious. P sure it wasn’t me but I want to be sure.
Who here likes wubs? Anyone who doesn’t? If you do or don’t like wub wubs like Anechoik, Austin, or Phil(thx Austin), or etc., comment down below what you think we could improve on!
Also,(p sure Ane and Austin would agree) but I(we) would love to help people out and improve their auxy skills.

Hmu in a pm if there’s anything you’d like to learn! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m no expert either but it’s a play on the “wobble” characteristic of the bass. I suspect the term got super internet-ized and now we have wub.

2 Likes

It was @Auxy. definitely lenberg.

5 Likes

I’m wondering

2 Likes

No not Lenberg, I’ve been using that term for a while before I joined this forum

2 Likes

*used

2 Likes

Dont forget phil

2 Likes

edited thx

@blackocean
@MR_ANDERSON
Haywir3

The list could go on and on…

1 Like

The term has been around for a decade, if not closer to two. I remember hearing it used for dubstep and brostep, back when there was debates about why people were calling brostep, dubstep. This “confusion” basically killed true dubstep (imo), as the mainstream set the name. Now you’ll rarely see “brostep” and if you were a fan of the original dubstep, you’ll have a hard time looking for it.
But anyways, back then I heard wub(s) used a lot.

3 Likes

Wubs are EPIC!

1 Like

Nothing is wrong with wubs at all! My literal only concern about them ever is if they are overused in a generic way. Putting creativity into ‘em usually makes them a lot more enjoyable to listen to.

4 Likes

True fact: my cat Coops invented the term “wub” during a rather intense catnip trip

1 Like

Wubs were dirty disgusting and (Un)listenable… this wub people day n future bass is basically a light explanation of what was Wub wub wobbble wobbble from 2008. it needs to be dirty, please bring back the disgusting, volatile disgraceful sound of the wub.

5 Likes

It probably come around when dubstep arrived with “dubs” and “wubs”

1 Like

Putting an LFO on a bassline has been a thing for decades, but the term ‘wub’ (which is just a shorter version of ‘wobble’) is usually credited to Rusko and his track ‘Cockney Thug’, which was released in 2007.

The ‘wub’ is the main differentiating factor between dubstep and brostep.

In Rusko’s own Cockney Thug, it’s a melding of tinny ska keys, insistent mid-range bass throb, and a repeated cockney “fack!” The bassline became known as the “wub”, and along with its rascally brother, the “wobble”, it became one of the most familiar hallmarks of the nu-dubstep.

No summary of the year in dubstep would be complete without the ever-expanding wobble side of the scene, recently hilariously and accurately renamed “brostep.”

2 Likes

What is wub?
5E16F5BB-15B2-48E3-A656-85AC6C31B9D8

1 Like

@blakkaz
I remember hearing that track many years back. Would be cool to see a video of the evolution of sub genres.

Wuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuw me likie

1 Like

Yesss more distortion/downsampling, more throaty, more midrange. More vowel-ey

1 Like