Who else misses the old EDM? (2010-2014)

Sometimes I wish I was a producer back during 2010-2014… music was simpler and better back then, and the knowledge I have now would be way more useful back then… I may have been a big producer back then if I ended up being successful… all I know how to make is the old style progressive house… I can’t get anywhere with that kind of music nowadays, and I wish I could’ve been a producer back then… how many of you feel this way?

3 Likes

Loved David Guetta back then. It still sounds great :ok_hand:t3:

2 Likes

2000-2004 was better. :wink:

2 Likes

Back then when I was 10 years old (this was in 2013), I came up with the idea of mind reading devices for computers so that when you had some sort of music idea or video game idea, the device would do all the work for you.
Imaging all the people with these amazing songs they could come up with, and a lot of people would be famous!

That was before I discovered Auxy, which is making my music production dream come true.

Still though, if they invented that mind reading machine for ideas in that year range (10-14), imagine SoundCloud being filled with these wonderous EDM songs every minute!

2 Likes

Yeah for me especially 2012-2014, before electronic music became commercial

1 Like

I think that timeline might be relative to one’s age.

2 Likes

It’s funny how I had the same exact idea a few years ago. I would always wonder how cool it would be to just put my ideas in a machine, and it would make the song for me. But in my opinion, that’s kind of cheating. Since making good music takes real effort and sacrifice.

2 Likes

2010-2011 was great years. Some of my favourite sub genres were being tested, and many of them died not even a year later. Trash Electro, Fidget House, Dubstyle to Name a few. The cool thing is Fidget House evolved somewhere between 2015-2016 and there is something called Bass House, where a lot of Dub-influenced artists re-invigorated the silly bumpy-wonkyness of the “Fidget” aspect and incorporated it in the bass lines of this new Genre. Some of it is pretty darn good, and it’s almost serious now instead of being silly.

If you ever want a list of artists, just ask me. I’ll also send out my Apple Music profile and you can listen to dozens of playlists I release weekly.

2 Likes

Agreed, because I then realized that a few years later that the actual fun is making the music!

2 Likes

@blakkaz agreed pre dubstep was better edm.

Although I do love dubstep, but there just isn’t the thoughts of melody like I feel like really 2000’s had

2 Likes

More than half of the songs I really want to remix (with stems) are from 2012-2015ish… all of them are in my playlist. XD Still working on so many of them.

Does anyone else think that EDM has shifted from 128BPM to 100BPM or 150BPM from those years? Am I the only one?

4 Likes

I do hear a lot of midtempo stuff, still in the 128-130 range, but yes I have noticed a gradual increase in the higher tempos, due to hip hop influence.

1 Like