When do you need undo?

Undo is one of the most requested features, so I would love to learn a bit more about when you usually feel the need for it? Is it when you edit notes and need to go one step back, or when you screw up a loop and need to restore it to a previous version, or when you mess upp the scenes, etc.

3 Likes

My opinion on the undo is that, it is a creative tool allowing you to experiment with ideas , say for instance you’re midi editing and trying to find the right notes maybe you have the note but just want to see if another idea would work so undo to go back to your previous idea, instead of duplicating. Could be wrong because it’s a workflow preference which is linked to creative and the way you work. Most times it is used because I’m clearing loops or changing a setting but I stuff it up, I think for the most part you have reached a balance in between robust , mean every workflow choices feel intentional and most of the time nothing feel lost (meaning , not being the apps fault for your own screw up) . For me I can live without I have been since the app was blue never had any problem with it then . So it’s really the request by your users , the value that it will bring , will this reach your goal close to the app of a better workflow and how long will it take. Anyway little tangent there , but what I value within Auxy as an app is it being the quickest workflow that can do everything like a daw on a computer, my ableton for iPhone. I guess if I’m paying a subscription I just need a roadmap of where everything is at, also there was a problem I had with my old iphone 6s where I could use all the subscription content without having to pay, So a bug-to fix. Thanks

4 Likes

Normally when I want to try a new idea and don’t want to mess up a loop, I just duplicate the original loop and work on the new one. But, it would be nice to have an undo inside of a loop where if I had, say, a melody going that I liked, but accidentally deleted all of the notes, or messed up some part of that sequence, it would be nice to be able to go back a step or two.

I think the most valuable for me, though, would be an undo option when editing which loops are playing in a scene. I’ve accidentally tapped my screen in a random place or hit a different loop than was activated before countless times, and it’s generally a pain to go back and figure out which loop exactly was active before I screwed it up. I only do this mostly on projects that have a lot of instruments and loops, so it’s relatively rare.

Those would be my two main use cases, but other than that, I wouldn’t mind whether there is an undo feature or not.

4 Likes

I just want another button to press🤷‍♀️

1 Like

Accidentally deleting notes in a loop or nodes in an automation

2 Likes

Have repeatedly moved notes in error when trying to scroll around.

2 Likes

Personally I think either or a track-level undo button for cases when you accidentally move / delete a note, select / deselect an instrument, or perhaps move a loop / scene in the arrangement view (which I find happens fairly frequently and can often go undetected or be difficult to remedy if you don’t remember the original configuration) OR a “locked” toggle for the app similar to the concept of that on the iPod classic which prevents the altering of loops, instruments, and scenes when trying to listen / scroll around the track (could perhaps be implemented through a long hold of the play button as to avoid clutter in the UI). Either of the two would probably get the job done but I even think the latter option might be more versatile and helpful, especially for cases when you don’t know you’ve made a mistake (thus rendering the undo button as less helpful) or when you want to preemptively prevent a mistake from happening (e.g. playing a track with your phone in your pocket).

3 Likes

Yeah also this one, all. The. Time.

2 Likes

Usually a loop that you were happy with, opened for some reason, and messed up - or - you create a new loop and start adding notes, then want to go back a few steps?

1 Like

You mean it’s to easy to drag scenes up to move them quickly? We could easily just remove that option and require longpressing and selecting “move” to move scenes. Do you think that would ruin the workflow for scenes then?

I think this is a helpful approach to differentiate between making some edits to a project that is almost done, and saving these explicitly, as well as allowing free browse in a project without saving any changes.

2 Likes

And would it be fine if you could discard changes before closing a loop to remedy this?

This is great input and toggling loops while scrolling seems like a general issue. I’ll think about what can be done to improve it.

1 Like

I think this was in a beta at one point and it wasn’t great. It would really need to be a proper undo button to be functional… even if all it remembered was changes made to the loop/pattern while it was open, that would be better than none.

Yes that sounds not great. @Arimyth has the right idea with locking scenes for that fat finger move. You wanna make a change, explicitly unlock arrangement. When you’re done, if you choose, re-lock it.

2 Likes

So a general locking feature of projects that prevents all kinds of changes unless you unlock the project first? Do you think we should allow changes but then reset the project when closing it, or simply prompt that it’s locked whenever you try to change something?

I would think prompting that it’s locked would be better. It would be misleading to make changes to something and then just close it and come back to missing changes (looking at you, Gadget…)

1 Like

I think a more flexible solution might be locking instruments. Kind of like “freezing” loops on other DAWs. On other DAWs it renders that instrument to a .wav to lessen cpu usage, I don’t know if you guys would like to go that route.

2 Likes

Usually more for the first one

For a feature that locks editing, there seems to be a few different scopes mentioned (for loops, for instruments or for scenes). I made some light mock-ups for the case of loops, but yeah this doesn’t address the question of whether each case should/could have edit-locking, and how (e.g. for instrument locking, will it lock all loops and knob adjustments?).

I get the impression that Auxy developers seem hesitant to fully implement an undo feature though, from the phrasing of the previous posts, the original post here and posts afterwards, and are possibly looking for replacement solutions that address specific cases

(i would welcome solutions that address some cases over nothing (particularly accidental editing), but I’m not sure it would replace being able to experiment possible world futures and be able to return back if you want to, without taking a lot of duplication — currently you can duplicate a loop/instrument/scene, make the new one active, and make edits. But it’s a bit hard to keep track of the original configuration (keep remembering which loop etc. was selected originally) other than doing it in your head, or again by duplicating, to keep the original configuration. Medly has undo/redo, as was noted a while ago on here )

For a loop (or instrument or scene) that is editable and unlocked

For a currently frozen/locked loop (or instrument or scene):

(‘View’ means you can look at notes in the loop, and scroll. But no changes would be made when scrolling by dragging a finger over the top of notes, for example.)