What's the best way to put emotion into music?

I’ve been thinking about this recently, and I’m not really sure. Help me out guys.

So, what I always do when I have this problem is think about the mood you are setting. Or you can just stub your toe really, really hard on that table you have always hated, in the middle of the night, because all you wanted to do was relieve yourself, because it is obviously the wrong color, and the stupid height is always wrong when you want to use it, and when you sit down, theres always a peice of it that hits your knees, and the cross bar always limits how much you can move your legs and then it hits your shin when you misjudge your movement by an inch. And when you finally sit down to eat, and the milk from your cereal spills from your bowl, the way the table is balanced causes it to run off and wet your favorite pair of shorts, making you look like an idiot because you look like you p****d yourself. Then, you go sit down after playing video games to do your homework because your mother won’t stop bothering you, so you start writing the essay that is due tomorrow but the table always creaks and groans when you switch positions, and it always seem to wiggle when you move your hand. So you get mad and bang your arm against it and end up hurting yourself… so yeah, think about all of that. Then open up Auxy, and voila, instant trap music.

Woah.

Lol my music just based on how I’m feeling if I’m happy my beats are upbeat if I’m discouraged my beats are darker and less good and when I don’t really know what I feel that’s when my music get crazy

just be sad one day if you need to make a sad song or be happy one day if you need a happy song. But I guess that kinda means that I’m always sad lol

Or even make a sad movie scene in your head and make a melody that you think fits the scene

Some good synth chords and the lake bass line
https://app.auxy.co/projects/FJW-mwHnq1WEi5xFXc1Stg==

A few techniques that work for me:

Soundtrack an image
Something I do quite often is to start with an image, perhaps a nice sunset or a tiny boat in rough seas and use it to inform the decisions I make when composing.

Name the song first
I often start with a name. You should probably end up with very different results from a song named ‘The Long Night’ and another named ‘Fart Sandwich’.

Modes & Intervals
Probably the biggest win I had with my songwriting was taking the time to learn the different moods each scale/mode could give to my music. Also worth exploring is the differing tension created between the intervals of a scale.

Call & Response

Theese are some of the things I do:

1. Use minor key
  2. Use high notes, use low notes (i.e. space notes apart)
  3. Vary timing in melody
  4. Melody and harmony progress downward in pitch
  5. Slow down the tempo
  6. Use 7th chords
  7. Think of how people talk when they’re emotional, and mimic that

I don’t know what it’s called, but make your notes do this: _-______

A lot of times, using the major scale for happy songs and using the minor scale for sad songs is very inaccurate. It’s completely possible to create a suspenseful song in the major scale and a happy song in the minor scale. Turns out a lot of people don’t know that.

Creating a song with a certain mood requires tempo, pitch, depth, and all sorts of stuff relating to emotions. Pixar is really great at this since they used the same song to create memories of someone however if you’re just creating a song that shows feeling, you’re best using tones that recreates those feelings.

For example, avoid using Gossip for songs that’re supposed to be suspenseful because it’s an uplifting sound. Instead, use a deep lead like Hour to help create songs in suspense.

June from RAC Essentials is one way to help someone get nostalgic, Allen is one way to recreate a world genre.

Take this example of Marmalade, one of the demos from Auxy:
https://app.auxy.co/projects/SM85ATeMAlJqqNcqgAtcEA==

The song is in the minor scale, but it sounds happy. That’s because of the use of rhythm for chords, leads, and basslines. The higher pitch of the main lead helps create a sense of joy within the song.

Experiment, it’ll help you.

provide an example via auxy?

Omg so true… :scream:

Depends on the emotion you want to evoke. I have discovered, however, that doing certain chords and chord progressions can give a certain mood to a track. Play around with it!

play with different combinations of keys, scales and instruments

The music puts the emotion in me

That. . .was. . .truly. . .inspiring!:sneezing_face::clap::clap:

I pretty much tie my songs to a certain image or setting and use elements from that setting and translate it to music

Why would a song be named “Fart Sandwich”? XD

I don’t really have much say here, but aesthetic and pacing play a big role in making something hit hard

As many people may think, coming up with a certain mood to your song isn’t just being in a happy, sad, or angry mood. I’m not in the best of moods most of the time, honestly, but in my personal experience, that has had nothing to do with how anything I create sounds. It’s something you have to create, and experiment with. It’s not usually something that just flows through you, so to speak. I mean, maybe for some, but still. It’s something that requires just as much time and effort. If our emotions could easily just pour into our songs, that’d be pretty great. You guys feel?