What’s your favorite type of intro?

So obviously there’s no one way that’s the right way to introduce a song, but I was just curious what’s everyone’s personal favorite way to start a song. And when I say intro I mean like the very beginning (first 4-8 bars). For me I like starting with the piano, although I think I kinda overuse piano intros. Arp intros might be my favorite. For some reason I really dislike drum intros. What about you guys?

1 Like

Pads, paddy stuff, synths, something textural.

Or drums :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I usually slowly progress into the chorus, but that’s probably not the best way. I am trying out piano intros now, as well as lowpass increases and a short drum thing… that doesn’t make sense does it lol.

Kinda like this intro I guess: https://app.auxy.co/projects/ZvRrbeC1HlrRtVLyzI1QOQ== dont copy it kthx

1 Like

silk chords with full shape + lowpass
or a nice @Otzsil thing

4 Likes

No favourites, per se, but my most commonly used approach seemed to be previewing / teasing the main melody, which I’ve done about three times out of ~35 pieces.

Otherwise, it’s quite a mixed bag.

If I found myself using a ‘favourite approach’ more than a handful of times, I’d likely stop doing it, unless it particularly suited something I’m currently working on.

1 Like

Fade into some chords + pitch bend

2 Likes

The Otzsil way (painting a picture with sound)

4 Likes

For other tracks, I like to hear some sort of impact to start and jump right into things. This way you kno its bout to be a banger

But for my tracks, I start a decent number of them with the melody/ chords, but very minimally and have it build up with some automation or adding more instruments

1 Like

i like piano riffs w/ highpass + vinyl scratches

or dramatic electric guitars

2 Likes

I like mine at the start.

1 Like

One way I start for a progressive track is to have a down sweep and a baseline playing one note. I usually have some automation for tone or something like that. It sounds chill and stuff…

2 Likes

i cant get out of a loop of, just melody 4 bars, then drums 4 bars, then whatever else

The Deconstructed series over at Attack Magazine is a nice case study on track arrangement.

4 Likes

I love starting out with a faded 1 bar of the chords into the 8 bar chords. I usually start with pianos, if you listen to my music, most of them start of with a 1 bar fade into chords. I also love adding an impact or sub drop right at the beginning.

Something kinda lonely, with the reverb up. Then moving onto something a bit more crisp.

1 Like

It really depends on the inspiration. I often just start with a simpler version of the break or the drop melody or go straight to a version of the chords.