What is your ritual when producing?

Do you do anything particular before or during your time in the studio? I’ve heard people before saying they drink a specific brand of drink or they only make music at night or they have to eat before they get in the studio. What’s your ritual?

5 Likes

I convert oxygen into carbon dioxide

21 Likes

Lol.

I say “Well, guess it’s time to do this now”.

Wish I had a more exciting story :frowning:

11 Likes

Laying on me bed, turning on my stereo, opening Auxy, making a new project, making a drum kit, making one drum loop, then I sit on Auxy contemplating what I should do for Like two hours…

6 Likes

I listen to most of my unfinished projects, then dance to them, then I dance while I hum an entirely new idea. That’s when I create a new project.

5 Likes

I don’t, but I do have a few rules:

No drugs in the studio
(Sorry)
No dabbing in the studio
:rage:
No smashing in the studio
:see_no_evil:

11 Likes

Animal sacrifices
/s

I record myself beatboxing my ideas when I have them, and then later I’ll attempt to recreate it. If it’s good, I’ll complete it as a song

5 Likes

Sketch a pentagram on the floor and light a circle of 6 candles around each point. I stand in the middle, arms spread, and speak the dark words of power.
/s

14 Likes

wubwubwubwubwubwub hourandsilkchords wubwubwubwubwubwub

15 Likes

w̷̯̋ ̴͓͊ẹ̴̑ ̴̹̿b̶̯̚ ̶͙͛r̸͈̽ ̷͖̈́ȋ̶̭ ̸͕̇n̵̼͒ ̵̢̄g̷̝͂ ̵͙͋i̵̜͊ ̴̥̆n̶̺̈ ̶̬̅ț̴̐ ̶̙͌h̸̟̀ ̴̀ͅḙ̷͑ ̶̲͠g̸̮̏ ̷̞̑o̴̮̓ ̵͕̔ả̴͕ ̴̻̉t̶̓͜

2 Likes

liking the new profile pic :grin:

3 Likes

what about smash mouth?

9 Likes

I’m serious, if you can’t dance to your stuff, nobody else can. That’s why I gotta test stuff out before I release it.

3 Likes

Something pops into my head, I go into Auxy and put it down on one of my favorite instruments. Sometimes I make some generic chords or percussion.

Once I’m done with all that, I start thinking hard.

Brainstorming for ideas.

I open up an obscure instrument I’ve never used before and I jot down a crazy melody with it. I compile all of these weird ideas and drums and mix it in with the generic stuff.

That’s what I’ve realized I do with all of my favorite songs that I’ve made.

4 Likes

uhhhh idk i usually listen to random tracks on soundcloud for like 2 hours for inspiration then i try to compile various ideas from all of them and make them into my own ideas

2 Likes

I typically spend a few weeks making synth presets, chopping up samples and tuning drum hits.
I’ll put these into ready-to-go sample packs, so I can work faster, later.

When inspiration strikes, I dim the lights, press record, and jam for a few hours.
I’ll then give my ears a few days rest before sorting through the recordings, and deciding which is worth keeping and which to delete.

When I feel like I have enough source material, I’ll go back and arrange them into their final compositions and do a final mix and master.

8 Likes

This is one of the reasons Auxy works well for me, because I can get a sound I need without worrying.

I still have yet to grind out presets for Serum though, I really should. It’s more of a go-along process atm as I learn.

4 Likes

All I really do is think of something for the first time in two weeks and then try to recreate it in a Auxy. It ends up sounding completely different than what I though but still decent.

… but normally, for at least a week, I’m stuck with just an out of place drop bc I can’t think of how to make the other things. (intro, buildup, etc)

And then for a day, I finally get that drop of inspiration I needed and I end up finishing the track really fast.

… but then I stress over what image to use for cover art and whether or not there should be pitch bend on the hihats and if I should add another layer and then I end up releasing the song one or two days later.

Then I realize it’s been like four and a half weeks since I dropped a track so I freak out and just release it.

And then this happens:

(ty @crystldawnmusic, that song probably went through five cover art versions so this really helped me)

then i post my long process in a thread and realize it was asking for a ritual

10 Likes

I make music lol

2 Likes

Well i dont have any…I think that is why my Music never has a soul :frowning:

1 Like