What are the thiccest, heaviest bass layers you can think of?

Doing a project at 300bpm and I need something heavy

3 Likes

Octave layered boom bass

You need racer and beam combined, they make for very thick layers. Throwing a boom bass will help on the low end as well.

Also, if you want the lowest possible notes, use F# as a key as that’s where the lowest note on the instruments can be obtained (it scales between F# and up to F for some reason, instead of C to B)

1 Like

I made some pretty nice bass layers here:

https://app.auxy.co/projects/U2wjSb2NrDvkKsrGEAWtwA==

Oh, I’m sorry, I thought you meant chords, eh whatever, still strong and nice.

Maybe Lobster with regular pitch notes mixed with Lobster with low notes mixed with Racer (My basic style)

Hey, guys, it’s your friendly neighborhood audio engineer, Nick Elle.

Soooo…
Let’s have a little conversation about low frequencies (aka bass).

“Bass” frequencies, 0hz-400hz (or so), are a big deal. Y’all already know that.
But I’m here to tell you what makes them a big deal.

The lower side of the audio spectrum takes a lot of space in your mix.
Even though it’s only like 0-400/500hz, those few hz take up sooo much.
For example:
See the difference between bass and mid? Bass only takes 500hz or so, and mids take like 10000hz, but it seems to take the same amount on the spectrum, right? That’s because bass is so huge, that even though it’s just a few number, it takes a lot of space.

So, you may be asking, “what does that have to do with anything?”

Well…

Since bass is so big, it’s really loud.
And since bass is so loud, you can only put a certain amount of bass in a track.
Most tracks only have room for kicks, a few toms, and a bassline.
And if you add more, it will become too loud and your track will distort (sound bad).
So “layering” basses will cause your song to distort because you will be adding too much bass.
For example:
(That picture is not done to scale.
It’s an over exaggeration, but it makes the point.)
Adding too much bass crowds out the rest of the sounds.
It won’t leave any room for your mids and highs.

So, moral of the shpeal, bass wisely.
And remember, kids, drink your drugs and don’t do milk. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Since switching to monitoring headphones for… well… monitoring the mix, I’ll say this – Auxy basses tend to run VERY HOT. I have found on just about every track I’ve written in the last four months or so I need to turn the bass volume down to 3/4 - or less! (or start applying some high pass).

I didn’t notice it until I listened in my car… and damn. The bass is very very very loud. And no, it’s just a stock stereo system with default settings. So yes, do use caution

2 Likes

Another thing that seems to happen is some sounds have tons of bleed into other frequencies. Apparently Gravel bleeds over extensively into the mids, and some of the pianos (according to a few people) bleed a fair bit into the bass range. While it’s likely this is the case from people trying to layer to create different sounds, the limiter can only do so much to make sure things don’t go awry.

That’s easy fix:
Use high cut filters for basses, and low cut filters for other instruments.

1 Like

True, but the thing is people don’t know this because unless they actually analyzed the frequencies or could hear very well, they won’t know. I didn’t know until someone told me, and now that they did I finally see the things they were talking about. A lot of the leads have strong low ends as well, even if it’s faint it adds up dramatically.

1 Like

Ah, yes, painfully true.

Honestly, there needs to be a comprehensive post or wiki for the auxy sounds, detailing things like waveform, uses, what each macro actually does (and how much), suggestions, layering sounds, etc.

That’s one major frustration, not knowing what sounds do or are capable of.

2 Likes

Flag is nice with a muted subway