There are many great improvements in this and the last update, especially loop labels and repaired scene labels, and I’m very happy with the subscription sounds. I’m really trying to adjust to the new layout (iPad), but a few things inhibit work flow on the kind of stuff I’m doing.
Play button size/location
I didn’t realize how much I used the play button until it had moved, shrunk, and had its outer-ring bar counter removed. I spend a lot of time restarting over and over from a given point in the loop editor, while getting chord progressions or polyphonic voices right – with and without soloing. It is equivalent to the space bar in a DAW, and I would be similarly thrown off if, say, Pro Tools or Logic decided to switch to the ‘b’ key instead. It’s a smaller, farther away, and less-peripherally-visible target now, especially without its ring.
Play button scene bar counter ring
When mixing live/processed acoustic piano with Auxy, in ambient music, there’s no longer a way to know precisely where you are in a scene – so as to know when to come in. Also, the dots indicator in the loop editor is difficult for me to grok at a glance, vs. what was on the play button.
Scene bar count/offset indication
As much as I hate to admit it, I’m middle-aged now, and my eyesight isn’t perfect. With a programming job and kids, most of my music time is late night, when my eyes are already tired to begin with, so I keep the brightness down low. While the 5.1.1 indication is clearer than 5.1, at a glance I still can’t see an immediately-discernible difference between 3 and 4, or 7 and 8. I end up using the label for indicating the bar count + offset, which requires maintenance as I change things around. I have a music/math brain, that “does” numbers, and losing a concise and precise indication has been a step down in terms of keeping track of song structure. I recently spent a week using the old (green icon) Auxy, and loved seeing the clear bar/beat indicator that you get while recording; I missed having a play button but being able to loop a single bar helped immensely.
Last, I always put an empty scene at the end to make sure the 'verb trail doesn’t get cut off (which it does without it), and now there is no indication of how many bars are there.
- Kiss pitch automation
- Runner pan
- Cinema pan
- Grain and Chalk (pianos) pan – unless these are intended to be explicitly monophonic
- Telecoms low-pass glitchy at/near full counter-clockwise
- Chromatic should be able to be selected as the default for new projects
- I don’t like that the scene progress bar is discontinuous now (would benefit from some kind of bar/scene markers in either case, like 1px vertical stripes in a different color)
- Export is awkward to get to in settings
- Reverb trail gets cut off too soon
- Need a real time counter (Auxy Music Creator had one in the playback)
- Would be so nice to be able to custom configure the layout
- In the key of C, would be great if the pianos went all the way down at least to A0
- Single-bar playback in the loop editor would be great
- Unable to change drum kit (even among originals) on really old projects
This app has the potential to be a very professional tool. I would feel better knowing in advance when and what features are going to be moved or removed, absent the opportunity for specific feedback first. I’ve gotten so much enjoyment out of Auxy I would probably keep a subscription for a few years (regardless of whether there were new/good sounds), out of gratitude alone, but if there were another update like 5.1 I would likely wait for a less-unfavorable-to-me redesign to come along in the future before upgrading.