Tips on making a powerful drop?

Hey guys :wave:. I have really been struggling making my drops powerful. I’ve done some research and discovered that you normally introduce more bass in the drop. When I try that it does improve but then the track sounds like a block of noise. I’m trying to make a clean and satisfying drop for my tracks but I just can’t seem to achieve it. Is there anything that you guys can recommend for me to do? :grin:

That guy is mega enthusiastic

One thing is to not just pile on basses in hopes to make things sound “louder”, but to work on EQ’ing other instruments in your mix so they don’t take up too much “space”.
Ex: -cut low end from upper/mid sounds to make room for basses.

• cut a tad bit of low end off the bass to make room for the sub
    -cut all the high end from the sub to make room for the rest of the sounds

This helps to clear up your soundspace so to speak and makes it easier to work and have your mix sound a bit cleaner so you don’t have to add on more instruments than needed

Another thing u could do is take off any reverb or delay on your basses. You could do the opposite with high end stuff like hats, arps, melodies etc and add more reverb and delay to fill out blank space.

Thanks so much man :grin:

Drops work because of tension and release. So what you remove before the drop (tension) is as important as what you bring in (release). That’s what I tend to pay attention to.

Just to clarify this - I used to get confused about cutting high and low end. Cutting high end on basses means using low pass (only low frequencies pass) and cutting low end on leads means using high pass (letting the high frequencies pass). It can be a bit confusing if you’re not paying attention.

yeah, which is why i usually just say to cut the high or low end to be more straight forward, but i guess both can be confusing if you’ve heard all the terms before.

Ya eq stuff but also
stack the layers
And use a sub bass
And reverb
Haha Aces to aces know some what he’s saying

What genre specifically Ima sure I could help

Slope for days.

In all seriousness though, cutting the low frequencies off your leads will really help. If you want to be more exact about that, export your stems into an external program and EQ them out. I find that to be easier for me, but people work differently and stuff.

It can be confusing if you don’t get why they’re called the way they are. It stems to how old filter equipment was set up.

quick lesson because i want to be helpful, not picking on you xD

Basically, to pass frequencies through a filter, that means those frequencies are not cut out from the filter. There are three types of passes, Low, Band and High. A lowpass filter allows low frequencies to pass while cutting out the band (approximately mid-range) and high frequencies. This also works in a “reject” context. For example, if you have a low-reject filter, it will reject all low frequencies and pass the band and high frequencies. Currently, Auxy has two filters that are manipulable, the Lowpass and the Highpass. In the context of Auxy, Highpass functions universally, while lowpass functions differently for some instruments. However, it works essentially the same and allows low frequencies to… pass. go figure right? xD

Trust me, it’s really interesting to learn about all this stuff ^w^ Hope this was helpful.

ahhh Aces to aces dude love him

Thanks a ton for the awesome replies guys :grin:

Aces has top quality tutorials (and everyone else went and ripped him off lol)

I feel like u may have just made things sound more complicated than necessary lol.

uhhhh idk bro just give the drop power

S T A C K T H E L A Y E R S

What’s with the “Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?”

Uhh mostly progressive house and happy electro house. I do like to do a bit of melodic house and some future bass.

Jeez, that’s a lot of houses

Idk about you but I understood what he meant, didn’t seem too complicated :^P