「 The Auxy Collective 」 - Community Sourced Promotion

People seem to forget this part

Which is probably why it’s a good thing to have a “3rd Party” promotion channel like this for Auxy songs because the current system is kinda like expecting Ableton to promote your tracks cos that’s the DAW you use. That way, the devs can put even more focus on improving the app instead of reposting and Auxy artists still have a place to promote their music.

11 Likes

The purpose of this collective wasn’t to hate them for it, but to help them with it :wink:

1 Like

That’s not their intent; it’s not “help”, it’s your solution. Having another collective isn’t going to get people much attention at all. How do the owners of this expect to get attention?

1 Like

And this is exactly why I feel something like this is a good thing.

Only time will tell if it works or not, there’s no reason to bash it repeatedly to the ground before it’s even started rolling. If it doesn’t work, no harm nor foul.

2 Likes

By having it be open for the community for people to join, discuss, help each other out, etc.

As I’ve said, there’s really only two SC accounts aside from the official one for reposts within the community. All the other labels/collectives aren’t exclusive for Auxy music either.

2 Likes

It’s a good question. At some point, you’re all cannibalising each others audiences.

And building an audience is the only first thing that matters.
Without a worthwhile audience, none of it matters.

Just saying; Which tracks should Auxy repost? (Don’t recommend your own releases/collabs!)

Almost none of their reposted tracks are sourced by who you think. There’s even a forum topic dedicated to it already

The problem is that they’re still filtered through the same single person, Lenberg.
He is effectively the taste/time bottleneck.

@Arimyth

I like the idea, but what activity will be undertaken to build that SC audience?
As mentioned above, it risks becoming a ‘me too’ channel, duplicating content and cannibalising the same, limited audience.

Anyone undertaking this needs to have a plan for how to build the audience, especially outside the Auxy bubble. While these things remain stuck within the bubble, none are going to get big enough to yield any real benefits, either for those running the channel or those promoted on it.

Effectively, it would be no better than the #AuxyRepost thread here – as it’s the same people submitting and listening.

1 Like

No matter what, someone’s going to get left out in some way. People are acting like this will solve all the “problems” the official account has. But it’s either going to end up not getting any attention or becoming crowded to the point where it relates 100s of tracks, burying most of them in the process (which is kinda ironic), or it ends up discluding people to avoid the first two or to maintain quality. I don’t see any way around that, and it’s not going to end up so well.

1 Like

And that’s where I think they fall down.
They really should be more active with it, because marketing is a thing.

I think the problem is that the ‘dev’ team, which includes the business owner, isn’t seeing the big picture – that they’re going to continue to struggle until they find a way to start doing some proper marketing activity.

Similarly, if they were more active in supporting the community output, then everyone stands to benefit, including themselves.

They’re effectively got a massive stream of content which they could use for promoting the app. But, they’re just not interested.

/offtopic

4 Likes

They’re also a management team. And a marketing team. And a sales team.

When the team is that small, they need to be all those things – putting their time and effort into all the activities that a business needs to succeed.

You can make the most fantastic product in the world, but it needs to be backed up with good, effective promotion/marketing. Otherwise, it’ll just wither on the vine.

2 Likes

Re: ‘help’

I’ve suggested to Lenberg, multiple times, that he entrust one or two forum veterans* as A&R for the reposts and either give them direct access to the Auxy SC channel, or for them to be the filters, so that anything they approve gets reposted.

But, so far, he seems uninterested in anything like that.

* Obvious candidates would be the mods here.

2 Likes

My concern with this would be there’s potential bias towards their own tracks too.

1 Like

Such a bias would quickly become obvious, I’d think.
We’ve not seen any bias in their moderation here, towards their own opinions or ‘preferred members’.

(If anything, knowing’ those in question, I suspect there’d be a slight anti-bias towards reposting their own stuff, because of how much it would look like self-interest.)

7 Likes

There is a very simple way around it, and I’m sure it’s already a feature of the collective:

• A track would need x amount of votes to be accepted (and as the collective grows, x grows)
  • Someone can’t be reposted by the collective more than x times [a month/bimonthly/semiannually/etc.]
2 Likes

maybe once they reach that limit they can choose to have one of their songs taken down from the repost channel and the new one put up

There’s only three of us, and I don’t really any of us would be inclined to do this. I personally am trying to reach out to various, alternate audiences for feedback and shares, so an Auxy repost is personally not in my best interest. In the event that I did want to share my track via their account, that would be up to the others. Consultation and open communication isn’t complicated.

5 Likes

Besides, the developers probably still want to be able to choose how to represent their own company themselves.

1 Like

Questions/thoughts…

Why SC? Why not YouTube? (Or both?)

Work out some kind of branded boilerplate imagery, a custom typography template, maybe an audio animation overlay (à la Trap Nation et al), and have at it.

It’s got a better recommendation engine, so may well improve chances of developing reach beyond the Auxy bubble.

3 Likes

I agree with a lot of this. You shouldn’t stay inside the Auxy realm, as the people that will listen(presumably people on the forum that know about this account) is limited to ~ 120-ish people. That’s not exposure. That’s a bit more plays than you normally get from people who most likely already listen to you.

Like AKA is sugessting here, break outside the auxy bubble. Market your music on websites, email distributors, even contact YouTubers or other content creators and see if they’ll use your music in the background.
The repost system is not a participation trophy machine. You can’t say “hey I wrote a song, give me a repost” regardless of the quality. The repost system is a marketing system, so they should repost the tracks of outstanding quality(to display the app’s capabilities better), not just the track John Johnnson made and whined about not getting reposts on it for 5 days.

7 Likes

I’ll try to address some of the prominent points I see being raised here. Sorry for the length.

Functionally, the process works differently as it does not actually inherently do any exclusive releases. It instead reposts songs by people in the community. It is also branded as “The Auxy Collective” and instead of branding itself as an unrelated third party source for music, the goal is to play a role as a centralized place for promoting Auxy music.

There is of course natural bias for people to have their own tracks promoted. We are going to have moderation in place for the discord server (not to censor people, but to ensure that appropriate attention is being given to the suggested tracks).

That’s an excellent service they’re doing to their community, but unfortunately it is objectively a limitation as they are only two people and are not in touch with some of the outer reaches of the community. As said before, the goal of this is not to put down the hard work the developers do, but to help remove that two-person limitation by involving the entire community.

This is spot on and encompasses the goal of the initiative perfectly.

Very true. And that’s why there’s no problem with what they’re doing–they’re busy people! They can’t do everything at once through no fault of their own. I don’t think the problem is hate per se, just recognizing the inherent limitations that come with running a music spotlight account and developing an app full time. They don’t have time to listen to everything, but de facto the entire community has time to listen to… well… the entire community. So why not use that fact to help out those who aren’t heard usually? :slight_smile:

Exactly.

Very good point. JFalc answered this one pretty well, and there’s a lot going on behind the scenes to promote it to a vast number of community members.

Through sourcing this project to a lot of the community via. the connections I and other have on other platforms such as Discord etc. the project will gain enough publicity to get a strong foothold and gain credibility. The next step would be to have method of knowing about this collective through a platform that the entire Auxy community uses, such as the app feed.

Someone’s going to be left out no matter what you do. What you can do about it is make sure that that “someone” is as few people as possible. The way the reposting process works ensures that dozens of tracks will not be reposted at a time, therefore ensuring decent exposure time for the newest track.

You’re correct.

The initial group of people to target would be the Auxy community, as that is where a strong foothold could be gained. After that initial step has been taken and credibility has been established, bigger audiences such as those outside of the Auxy community are definitely in the program (for exposure, not necessarily curation).

Thanks for raising excellent points, and hopefully this clarifies at least a portion of them. :wink:

8 Likes

I think it’s more community based. The Auxy Reposts account is literally just reposting whoever DMs their tracks – not really a quality filter or a way to “showcase underground artists” which I believe is the idea for this project

2 Likes