Should I create more accounts for different genres?

I usually produce music in a huge variety of genres (eg. synthwave, electronic, jazz, lo fi, etc.) but right now, I am releasing all of them on one account. However, I feel like I’ve been hearing a lot about having two or more profiles for different genres and things of that nature. What are your thoughts on having multiple accounts for different genres, and should I organize my tracks when I post them?

Thanks!

1 Like

@akabillposters get in here.

For me, I’ve produced a lot of genres as E/E, but I’ve been narrowing it down as of recently and sectioning off newer stuff with a darker sound for my newer project, JL Music. I think multiple genres are fine, as long as they encompass the same sort of sound/feel you’re going for. Anything diverging too far may be too much.

As for the time being, since you’re working to establish your sound, I’d recommend sticking to one profile until you nail down what you enjoy the most.

2 Likes

It depends on the kind of consistency you want to create for your music persona.

I personally vary the genres up that I produce on Arimyth, although it’s largely because they all (for the most part) share a common element to them (full drops, semi-house feel, etc.).

I could make different profiles for different genres, but for my case, the time I’ll need to spend managing the other accounts outweighs the potential benefits I’d get from sanctioning off each specific genre to a particular profile.

So the decision is up to you based on how much you feel you vary your genres and how much you value each of the pros and cons that come with splitting yourself into multiple personas.

2 Likes

I think this is the most important part. If you’ve been doing this awhile, you may not realize it, but you’ve probably developed your own voice. And regardless of what genre you write, your own voice and style are going to bleed through. I don’t think it’s a bad thing, it’s actually good because you’re in tune with your voice.

Unless what your writing is WILDLY different with zero continuity you’re probably best served having separate entities then. Even with me, ICS was a side project that just slowly became EXACTLY the same as my original project from years ago.

2 Likes

I personally think it’s okay to just use the same account for all genres that you end up producing. But— that’s just what I would do. I know a few people here like akabill and E/E that prefer using multiple accounts, and it works well. It really just depends on you. :ok_hand:t3:

2 Likes

You’ll have a lesser audience spread out over more accounts.
If you stay on one account, everyone knows who you are and where to find you so presumably your tracks will perform better.

4 Likes

A very good point. If you produce only one specific style that doesn’t drastically deviate, then stick to one profile.

However, there’s some listeners out there who only wish to listen to tracks in a certain style and aren’t looking to play a specific person’s track. Inconsistent profiles can lead to lesser plays overall, especially on songs too far from the style one usually produces. This is why I split my music into JL Music and E/E, because while E/E centers around songs that are cheerful and happy, the sound I create with JL Music is gritty and dark. It would alienate.

Besides, isn’t the whole point of making music to enjoy making it? Not to have a huge audience?

1 Like

nah fam it’s all about building up that C L O U T

1 Like

Some rambling thoughts…

I don’t generally agree with this point, but where it does make sense is in how it impacts your release schedule.
If you’re splitting your output across multiple genres/accounts/identities, then the release frequency for each is likely to be lower.
Release frequency is an increasingly important factor in building an audience.

It doesn’t have to be fortnightly (though some do), but it’s certainly better to be pushing out a steady flow of (quality) material rather than long spells of silence (guilty as charged).
Listeners simply forget about you and audiences grow veeery slowly.

The counterpoint to that is that you increase the chances of your tracks being hit n miss. Those who found you via a house banger might not like your neo-soul or modern classical pieces*, resulting in a less dedicated audience. And no-one’s gonna love you more for sticking a Country & Western track in the middle of your EDM release.

It’s not just an audience numbers game. Depth of engagement per listener is an important factor too.

It’s possible to build a following around a somewhat diverse output, but they often take more time and skill to build than an audience consisting of genre fans.
I can think of very few artists who have built audiences that way.
It’s more common to shift in phases, which often means that an artist’s/band’s sound evolves across the span of several albums.

Radiohead is a great example of how to mess around with genres and styles. (The consistency is in the writing and composition.)
They do it gradually and, for the most part, manage to bring their existing audience along with them - if anything, bringing in new listeners and deepening their stature as great musicians.

I’m not a fan, but props to Coldplay too, who are also managing to play with different styles while building, rather than alienating, their listeners.

But, again, it’s an album-to-album change, rather than an album of diverse styles.

All the evidence suggests it’s easier to build an audience by sticking reasonably closely to a specific genre (though ‘Pop’ fans may actually be the most accepting.)
The more successful you become, the harder it becomes to deviate from audience expectations.

Finding an effective balance might come down to allowing in influences from various genres, rather than producing ‘authentic’ tracks in a variety of genres (that would readily appeal to genre purists) - while keeping a consistent thread running throughout, whether that’s mood, structure, sound palette, production style, or, ideally, a unique combination of all of those.

To counter my own argument…

As music listening becomes more single-oriented, especially with the rising importance of playlists, perhaps now is the time for multi-genre musical artists to thrive.
Perhaps now is the time we’ll start seeing the traditional genre bounds of artists breaking down and becoming less relevant.

Perhaps.

(Note: the album isn’t dead yet.)

* I’ve gone (am going) for the multiple identities approach (four and counting) because I’m doubtful that moody IDM + indie vocal synth-pop + retro jazz-funk + synthwave(y) + club-oriented house is a winning combination.
I’m still trying to figure out where half my stuff fit best and has the best chance of gaining traction.

Though, I still love the idea of releasing multiple styles and genres and being accepted and successful - and having an audience go with me on the journey - and to be seen as a creative, musical person, rather than a [insert music genre] artist.

But then, maybe what I need to aim for is a YouTube channel (à la Huang, but with credibility and aimed at more discerning music fans), rather than aiming for traction as a release artist.

Apologies for the epic.
Blame @TheRealJFalc for summoning me via mystical incantation.

Careful what you wish for. :wink:

5 Likes

You win a gold medal sir :1st_place_medal:

Very good points here

2 Likes

Wow these are some great points that I hadn’t thought about. I really appreciate the epic man, it helps a lot.

Thank you guys so much for giving me your thoughts and time about this topic, I really appreciate it. For now, I think I’ll stick to different genres and maybe farther down the road, change genres with albums and maybe some little tracks in between.

1 Like

For better or worse, this is what I did. “Sequence and Series” is a little drum and bass, a little general electronic, a little IDM etc. Then I had three drum and bass singles. Then two synthy / IDM singles. Then “Cellar Door” was kind of a return to form, sans drum and bass.

Think about most artists, like AKA says, they typically evolve over time - the ones who aren’t a flash in the pan. They still retain their voice, their core sound, but the sound of the album from today and 20 years ago is very different (some great examples - Nine Inch Nails, Korn - all I can think of off the top of my head). You can kind of feel out a different genre with a single too, because it’s a stand alone entity and it’s a good platform to try something a little different (maybe a different style, or software, methodology etc).

1 Like