Scale finding thread

Didn’t know if anyone needed a thread like this, but I thought maybe it would be helpful to have around. If there’s a scale you’re looking for since you have some notes that are part of it but don’t know the name of the scale itself, ask away.

Right now I’m looking for a scale with notes as follows:
F# G# A# B C# D# F F#

Edit: Scale above is F# Major.

3 Likes

This thread is needed

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised of how many people have the perfect melody for a song but don’t know the scale. I have lost so many ideas because I gave up on trying to find a scale lol

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised either

0 Likes

I’m suspecting the scale is F#, cause right now I’m taking an attempt of making an Anime OP style song under a 1:30 timeframe

0 Likes

Google yo friend.

https://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php

2 Likes

Actually, an idea just popped into my head. You know how there’s those drop down boxes with tables on them (i.e. the Auxy Sound Wiki)? What if someone made something like that but it has every scale with all the notes in them, including Major, Minor, and Harmonic Minor?

0 Likes

A major

A-b-c#-d-e-f#-g#-a

C major

C-d-e-f-g-a-b-c

D major

D-e-f#-g-a-b-c#-d

E major

E-f#-g#-a-b-c#-d#-e

F major

F-g-a-b#-c-d-e-f

G major

G-a-b-c-d-e-f#-g

B major

B-c#-b#-e-f#-g#-a#-b

7 Likes

This is something that I think Auxy should implement tbh. They show the notes on the chromatic scale, but nothing on any of the other ones.
It’d def help people learn their scales and good note combinations for chords.

I’m still pretty lost for scales, so I literally have to look up a scale chart if I’m working in something other than like A or Fminor.

5 Likes

Bruh moment it tells you what scale you are in

0 Likes

yea i know. Im talking about having the notes actually show up on the piano roll instead of just the 1,3,5

0 Likes

Put this in their suggestion thread

1 Like

And if anybody is looking for the minor scales, starting on the sixth note of any of these will be minor.

5 Likes

But it’ll be the relative minor which means it’ll be the minor of the key three half steps below, not the actual key

For example, start on the 6th note of C major and you get an A minor scale

2 Likes

I probably should have mentioned that, thanks!

1 Like

A while ago someone wrote this on a wiki for a game I play, to help find a scale if you have certain flats and sharps. Not sure if it’s helpful but might be interesting:

Sharps and Flats

Sharps

Number Key Sharps
0 C Major -
1 G Major F♯
2 D Major F♯, C♯
3 A Major C♯, F♯, G♯
4 E Major F♯, G♯, C♯, D♯
5 B major C♯, D♯, F♯, G♯, A♯

Flats

Number Key Flats
1 F Major B♭
2 B♭ Major B♭, E♭
3 E♭ Major E♭, A♭, B♭
4 A♭ Major A♭, B♭, D♭, E♭
5 D♭ Major D♭, E♭, G♭, A♭, B♭
6 G♭ Major G♭, A♭, B♭, C♭, D♭, E♭
5 Likes

And for anybody who is going to use it, the rest of notes in the scale are natural.

2 Likes

honestly, I just use this website for scales/ notes

https://www.basicmusictheory.com/f-minor-scale

2 Likes

Ps guys, I recommend you try to memorize the scales. It’ll be of great use to you.

1 Like

Apple’s Music Memo app is a handy tool.
You can hum (or play) a melody and it’ll suggest backing chords.

3 Likes