Post writing and production tips (links & embeds only)

So, my understanding was correct. Phasing is a signal syncing/alignment issue.

I think using “levels” was a poor choice on their part, given that “levels” has a prominent and distinct meaning in audio engineering.

If you have a phasing issue, it’s not something someone would fix by adjusting ‘levels’ tools – e.g. EQ, dB levels, etc…

Anyhoo, thanks for confirming. Appreciated. :slight_smile:

By and large, yeah, for sure – sometimes though, sometimes… just sometimes. Lightning strikes hard and fast.

…sometimes. Like in fifteen plus years I can think of three times lol.

Are you talking about composition or mixing/mastering?

I find that trying to mix a track directly after writing it is almost blind luck.

Yeah I mean the mix. But I’ll be frank, I’ve spent way more time jerking around with the mix than not. We all have I’m sure lol, but I can think of a small handful of times where right to completion the mix was good.

TBH, I don’t do the mastering thing. Probably should take it a little more seriously. This is just a hobby though :slight_smile:

I’ve been sitting on a piece for the past few weeks that I was about to pull the trigger on.
I put it through the Bandlab mastering, but the best (automated) mix/master pushed the bass a little hard and it distorted.

So, despite listening to the Auxy output version for weeks, I’m going to run it through Grand Finale app*, to see what I can achieve myself, while intro-ing myself to the app — and the process of managing my own mixing and mastering.

* thanks @blakkaz for the recommendation

I’m planning on picking it up and putting it through it’s paces later this week.
Let me know how you find it.

Same here actually would love to have an all iOS solution

Part 1 of a new mini-series on BBC about Minimalist music

Tones, Drones and Arpeggios: The Magic of Minimalism, Series 1: 1. California

For those outside the UK, you’ll need to VPN in to view iPlayer, or you can probably find it Fromm ‘other sources’.

Episode description

In this episode Charles Hazlewood tracks down the pioneers of minimalism, which began on America’s west coast in the 1950s. Describing them as ‘prophets without honour’, Charles explores La Monte Young’s groundbreaking experiments with musical form that included notes held for exceptionally long periods of time, and drones inspired by Eastern classical music and Hindustani singer Pandit Pran Nath.

He drives out into the Californian countryside to the ranch of Terry Riley and discusses the musician’s revolutionary experiments with tape recording looping and phasing, along with early synthesizer sound. The episode includes excerpts from key early minimalist pieces, including Riley’s now famous In C, performed by Charles Hazlewood’s All Stars Collective and detailed workshopping by Hazlewood where pieces are deconstructed musically.

The key attributes of minimalism, its reliance on repetition, its mesmerizing transcendent qualities and innovative use of technology are also discussed with broadcaster and writer Tom Service; Gillian Moore, Director of Music at the Southbank Centre; composers Morton Subotnick, Max Richter and Bryce Dessner, and musicians Jarvis Cocker and Adrian Utley.

Sound on Sound: MeLo-X: Mobile Music Making
Apr, 2018

How does a platinum-selling producer make music on a mobile device? We sit down with MeLo‑X, who found commercial success co-writing tracks on Beyoncé’s Lemonade, as he talks about the real-world advantages of making music on a phone or tablet.

Watch him build a track on his iPad by sampling from Instagram and layering a collection of battery-powered instruments small enough to throw in a backpack.

This is a brilliant video, thanks for sharing this. This is the best mentality anyone can have, I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again - an artist doesn’t have only one brush, a tattooist doesn’t only have one machine.

I feel ALL his pros and cons on the advantages and disadvantages.

Hannes Bieger Tackles Stereo Bass in the Final ‘Studio Tips & Tricks’ (EB.TV)

The 10 Best Music Production Video Series For Expanding Your Creativity

When I listen to my favourite music I’m often left wondering ‘how’d they do it?’

How do you get that special access to see behind all those closed studio doors? You can’t just go around knocking…

Fortunately for you there’s some excellent videos series out there to answer all your questions. They give you an insider’s look into the processes of some amazing artists.

You get to learn everything from creative sampling, to gear setups, to studio workflows, to DAW tricks.

But there’s tons of channels out there and some do it better than others… So here’s the 10 best and most educational music production series to get you started.

One of my favourite Against the Clock episodes of recent months…

Set up a simple, but killer groove and play around layering stuff up.

Faking his stream numbers on Tidal, Beyonce too. Cheating algorithms, that’s one way to get ahead.

But first, you need to become some of the most successful and influential musical artists working today, to be able to get the kind of influence and power that people will pull that kinda stuff for ya. :wink:

If true (i.e. if purposeful manipulation, rather than something else)… I think it says as much, probably more, about Tidal, and the slow-motion car crash that is, as it does about either Kanye or Beyonce.

Part of tidal ownership, no? K & Bae…

Garageband Tutorial: How to Make a Basic Track

Album Sequencing: How to Give Your Releases Perfect Flow

what’s up guys. wanted to drop this insanely easy to understand video here explaining the basics of subtractive synthesis. Andrew Huang also did a great one on this, in case anyones in need for more. :wink: