Post writing and production tips (links & embeds only)

The comments on most of them are brutal… :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

It can be a bit hit and miss, and you don’t really get the best insight into their process, as they’re not often talking through it. Just a bit of interesting fun.
For a deeper dive with more insightful stuff, the Future Music ‘In the Studio with…’ series, that also flagged up early on, is a good one.

Help on understanding EDM genres and sub-genres.

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

The above link is a flowchart of 100+ sub-genres. Created by Kenneth Taylor, the chart was last updated Dec. 11, 2016 and has been announced to be receiving an update sometime this year.
Note: The chart is flash based, so if you want to view it on hand-held devices, you’ll need to DL a browser that can run flash… I use Puffin.

A shorter and more accessible version can be found below.

Interesting interview/chat between Aphex Twin and Tatsuya Takahashi, the guy behind Korg’s Monotron and Volca lines, Minilogue, Monologue and MS-20 and ARP reissues.…

Ableton’s cool tutorial site. This is the section about song structure and arrangement and uses a range of simple breakdowns of tracks by Chvrches, A Tribe Called Quest, Photek and Donna Summer to illustrate.

Worth checking out…

https://learningmusic.ableton.com/song-structure/song-structure.html

LANDR Blog: How To Use The Lydian Mode To Write Better Songs

TheAtlantic.com: Disclosure, CHVRCHES, and the Anxiety of Influencing

Thanks for making this thread guys, It really had helped a bunch :smiley:

Couple of short videos from Ableton’s YouTube channel.
Parts of a new series about the process of making music.

Not super-informative, but interesting…

Some interesting attitudes and insights throughout the first 8-9 minutes of this interview of Jack Antonoff, one of the writers/producers behind Taylor Swift’s ‘new sound’ (but don’t let that put your off) :wink:

Worth checking out.

Couple of articles from the PrimeLoops blog…

PrimeLoops Blog: How Do I Make A Radio Edit?

PrimeLoops Blog: Classic Tunes Unlocked! – Pon De Floor

Decent intro to making basslines more interesting.

BeatAcademy YouTube channel ( prev. IllFactor) is worth checking out.

Tip: JUST MAKE IT LOUDER BRO!

Uses modular here, but explains the principles, so can be useful within Auxy too…

nice. thanks mate.

I’ve played around with some modular systems recently and I think building my own is gonna be my musical quest for 2018 :smiley: PSYCHED.

Got this book on order. Looks interesting and useful…

Making Music: Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers

It’s published through Ableton, but seems to be DAW-agnostic and mostly aimed at the creativity.

Available as print and ebook.
8 chapters are available at the link above.

Maybe @Tarekith can vouch for it.

I don’t feel like reading all of that… ;-;

I’ve read parts of it, definitely DAW agnostic. I’ve never read it but if I was going to read a book like this, it would be this one.