Post any tips for writing melodies, chords, basslines, etc. here!

I sometimes struggle with making creative-sounding melodies, and I’m sure a lot of you feel that way too, so I want to make a place for people to share tips, tricks, and examples for melody-writing!

(You can post tips about melodies, chords, white noise, basslines, and anything else that applies to writing music in Auxy.)

Have fun!

2 Likes

Personally, I like starting with chords, then layering in a simple melody, then slowly making it more complex. I sometimes add drums, but sometimes there’s no need for any drums. It depends on what type of track I’m making.

2 Likes

Have you seen this thread?

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw it, but that one is links and embeds only. I want one where people can openly write their own tips on melody writing.

2 Likes

Tbh, as the OP on that other thread, I’d rather have community tips posted separately from that thread, so crack on (here)… :wink:

1 Like

Alright, thanks!

1 Like

Well these are FL Studio or other DAW tips:

1. Open up your plugin (VST plugins are the best for FL :grin:)

2)Make some presets for yourself

1. S A V E

4)Edit the them for your track

1. add effects

6 Add OTT

1. Here ya go man :wink:

If you having a hard time looking for a melody, I suggest placing random notes down. Just spam the screen. Then play it back and adjust notes to fit in from the top to the bottom. You’re bound to find something you like. Any other tips can be posted here

2 Likes

True, but when creating a melody, one shouldn’t be seeing a grid from an app or program in his mind’s eye.

Actually that’s how I view melody ideas in my head, :sweat_smile:. I’ll hum a catchy melody idea and then I’ll envision it on the auxy piano roll. Seems to work for me lol

1 Like

To each his own lol
I just don’t think creativity should conform. If that makes sense lol

3 Likes

This isn’t necessarily how it should be done. Just if you have 0 idea on what to do, but if you DO have an idea go for it

1 Like

For chords, a good amount of knowledge in music theory goes a long way

3 Likes

Take 15 minutes to browse in one of the sample packs and favorite the ones that sound interesting then when you make a track you don’t have to take forever searching for good samples because they’re all in your favorites.

I usually find the key/scale I’m in before I write anything

1 Like