Not enough genre diversity

Fwiw, and speaking as someone who (in my own opinion) creates music outside the norm for this forum…

Being ‘one’ isn’t a problem. The problem is that it’s hard to get traction and grow the level of engagement and appreciation with that genre when you’re starting from zero. That’s partly down to the make-up of this forum.

It’s not that simple or easy to ‘start a trend’.

(If Lenberg doesn’t like your music, then it’s even harder; potentially impossible as far as starting a trend on this community goes.)

It comes down to whether it’s about changing/expanding the types of music existing members make or attracting makers from a more diverse range of genres.

Both are unlikely.

Well, not starting a trend of one specific genre, but of diversity.

But, again, that comes down to expecting producers of certain genres to diversify.

If that’s not already how you instinctively approach making music, then it can be a bit forced and insincere, which isn’t likely to lead to worthwhile music, just clumsy attempts at different genres,

Plus, it’s not always effective to be diverse in your own output. It can hamper efforts to build an audience as most people listen to an artist expecting a certain genre or style.

It’s why artists often release different sounds under different names.

I’m in the process of doing that now.
I recently culled the vast majority of my SC tracks, to focus that account on a new name and a distinct section of my output.
I’ll probably be focusing it even more tightly, moving more tracks to other names/accounts.

I have the added bonus of none of my distinct styles being particularly popular here. :wink:

Yep. Impossible is definitely one of the key words here.

I feel like this is a reason why I’m struggling as well in some ways. But I don’t see that changing. I make music for fun, if it’s not popular because it’s different, then I won’t be able to enjoy expanding myself.

Personal problems aside…

Overall, I feel like the situation has progressed to “there’s not enough variation in the popular music” rather than a global situation of a hampered diversity. And with the structure as is, this won’t change without serious repercussions, which is unfortunate. And the only solution seems to be going beyond Auxy, which many users cannot afford to do, whether that be cost, age, limitations in knowledge, etc.

In some ways it feels like the homogenization of popular music as well over the last few decades. Then again that may just be me growing older and bitter and thinking the stuff back then was way better than it is now in that department.

All in all, this isn’t a simple problem, and who knows if it can be fixed.

I think nostalgia definitely plays a VERY big part here. I’m in the same boat :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to my question regarding diversity of styles one does or does not find being produced with the Auxy app. There have been many thoughtful responses and my curiosity in the matter has been satisfied. In the end the subject is more a point of discussion than anything else. Diversity or not, we are all going to continue to expose the music that’s in each of us because we love doing it, and if we are able to generate a large audience all the better.

Well said. The only thing I worry about is my will to continue that and not give into what’s popular.

Don’t give in. Make what you want. Make it for you. Some of the most renowned musical artists refused to conform to “pop” music of their decade.
Find your niche and people will find you.

Hey man, I would like to first say that I am a fan of your music! You have been an absolute inspiration to me ever since I joined Auxy back in July 2017 (I just recently joined the forum). I listen to a lot of house, not the stuff made today but, stuff like Deadmau5 - Faxing Berlin. I have listened to a number of your songs on soundcloud and you have this style that I haven’t quite mastered yet. I have maybe 20 or so different tracks that I need help with that I would love for you to help with! I completely understand if you decline the request and I know that this is way off topic, but it would mean a lot to me.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
Hunter

Thank you! Heads up though; for stuff like this you should probably just message me instead of putting it in a random topic… that way we can talk more directly.

It wouldn’t allow me to message you, not sure why…

New users who have not achieved “Member” trust ranking are unable to send messages on the forum, at least as far as I can tell. Not sure how long it’s been like this, but I’ve heard other users having similar issues.

Gotcha, thank you!

Could you pm me?

Look at my SoundCloud profile, I only have one future bass track, I love house and big room so I invite you all to look into my songs:)

Gotta love big room

Anyone ever tried to make any jungle? Or some old skool?

I’ve tried, I’m still getting the hang of it but I listen to that style of music. Some good artists that I will suggest to you are Pola & Bryson and Keeno

I love polar and Bryson they are really good, such a good liquid vibe. I’m more talking about early jungle around the 90’s such as Micky Finn, Top Cat, Roni Size etc

Ok gotcha, they’re old school man!:call_me_hand:t4::call_me_hand:t4: