Megaclaw AU.1 (Album)

My new album
AU.1
https://soundcloud.com/knls1978/sets/au-1
Ambient Experimental and chill Trap
Follow me on soundcloud
Feedbacks will be appreciated.

the pic for it is completely a copy of the template from canva…

1 Like

I enjoyed the album, nice work!

1 Like

i did too

1 Like

Yaa bit lazy…:hugs:
But I’ll be uploading my own album artwork soon

This is an EP, not really an album (LP).
But, nice work!

single i think

I didn’t know that
Thankyou so much nick for your feedback.
I’ll change it now.

Singles are 1-3 tracks, EPs are 3-6, albums aka LPs are 10+.

2 Likes

(Setting aside the 7-9 gap in your summary…

It’s not that straight-forward.
Definitions vary substantially between organisations and often factor in track durations and total ‘playing time’.

This release would be classified as an EP by iTunes and Spotify, but that has as much to do with the short individual track playing times and total playing time as the number of tracks.
(iTunes and Spotify share some definitions, but iTunes has some additional definitions around EPs.)

Conversely, it would be classified as an album by the UK’s Official Charts Company (‘Over 25 minutes playing time or more than four tracks’).
(From what I can tell, the UK’s OCC has no distinct definition for EPs, only Singles and Albums.)

However, if any track was over 10 mins or the total playing time was over 30 mins, most organisations would classify it as an album.

e.g. Kraftwerk’s ‘Autobahn’ release is classified as an album the world over. Three titled tracks, ~35 mins total playing time.

This is typical of ‘concept albums’.

Similarly, experimental music and ‘sound art’ releases might often involve only a single, long track, but will be classified as albums. e.g. Alvin Lucier’s ’I am sitting in a room’ or ‘Music on a long thin wire’

And then there are Classical music releases, which might often be classified distinctly differently too. Many symphonies have four movements, with none more than 10 minutes. Yet, even single symphony releases will invariably be classified as albums.

It’s important to understand how the definitions vary because it impacts how your releases (and the tracks on them) are presented, priced and sold on different platforms, as well as how they’re treated by certain chart organisations.

2 Likes

I understand that.

The summary I provided is just a rule of thumb to give to yourself when creating a project. It gives you a backbone to order your tracks. It gives you a plan.

Ps. I skipped 7-9 because in today’s world of iTunes and Spotify, it’s a bit controversial. The 90s (Pop) cats consider it to be an EP, because it’s not the standard 10+ that they were used to. But, the kids now consider it an album because it’s not their 3-6 EP.
Plus, the stamina to create a long body of work isn’t always there anymore. It was lost with the coming of the MP3 (:nauseated_face: MP3s. Gross) as the ability to release one track at a time became widespread.
(It was possible to release one track at a time before, but it was mostly Pop artists and their major labels who could afford putting one/two tracks on a tape or CD.)

That’s fine. I just thought your statement seemed very ‘matter of fact’, when it wasn’t quite.

(Many folks here are very green on the subject.)

I skipped 7-9 because in today’s world of iTunes and Spotify, it’s a bit controversial.

…the kids now consider it an album because it’s not their 3-6 EP

That means that iTunes, Spotify and the kids (and the UK Official Charts Company) are in complete agreement on how to classify a release with 7+ tracks. Not much controversy.

That it might have been different 20+ years ago is interesting. I’m just not sure it’s relevant.
The change certainly shouldn’t surprise anyone, unless they’re shopping for an EP after a 20+ year break from buying music. :slight_smile:

It’s an interesting and relevant subject that will be new to most members here.
There’s probably value in one of us here creating a sticky post on this topic in the Branding & Distribution section.

1 Like

Fwiw, when I first posted, I had actually listened to the release. Just got distracted (and derailed the thread) with the EP/album topic.

Anyhoo…

I think you’ve got some good stuff in there. More than once, I felt it was a shame that the track was so short.

The grooves and compositions are all quite simple, but still effective. :+1:

It sounds as though you’re using a lot of the stock Auxy sounds – which I personally tend to find off-putting.
You’ve definitely got a good ear for a good groove, but I couldn’t help wondering how a track would sound if there’d been more time on sound selection/design.

I enjoyed the entire release. :slight_smile:

Still, with unusually short playing times and the heavy use of stock Auxy sounds, I can’t help thinking you might not be doing those good grooves all the justice they deserve.

1 Like