Include automation in MIDI export

I tend to do my songs on Auxy then bring MIDIs over to other software for additional instrument choices. But my songs usually tend to have quite a bit of automation but it doesn’t get added in with the MIDI. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a feature that hasn’t been added yet?

It could possibly be a missing essential

Not possible at the moment

I think in a MIDI file, the only automation data that it is capable of are pan and volume, unless you use a MIDI controller (although I’m not exactly sure). There could possibly be a separate automation file.

2 Likes

Automation has not been added to the MIDI export yet. I think the best way to do so would be to convert it into the native automation format of each DAW.

2 Likes

Will you consider adding this in the future?

From the thread on the Audiobus forum, it was clear that some weren’t even aware it was possible. And one would assume they’re a very MIDI-savvy crowd. (Similar to how some regular Auxy users don’t appear to be aware that Auxy can output uncompressed audio files, a fairly core part of the Auxy offering.)

The low usage of the MIDI export might not truly reflect solely a level of interest, but also a level of awareness.

Of course, not saying that it should be bumped up any priority list, just that low use ≠ low interest levels/demand.

Auxy does feel like it’s trying not to be part of a bigger workflow. (That’s by design.) And users pick up on that — and stop using Auxy for things it can do, in favour of apps that feel more welcoming and accommodating to such workflows.

Sure, McDonald’s sells salads, but they don’t really care about salads. So, unsurprisingly people don’t really turn to McD’s for salads. :wink:

Again, not saying you should or shouldn’t do MIDI differently. Just making an observation.

I do totally appreciate the focus on great experiences. It’s the USP for you – and it’s working.
It’s the dogged pursuit of a ‘walled garden’ thing I don’t understand.

If you could devise a way that users could use Auxy how they wanted, but still within a great UX (based on the Experience Principles you’ve created), then I can only see the audience multiplying — and significantly, it expands into a segment who aren’t shy about spending cash on their tools.

The features aren’t the USP. The experience is.

(Note: I shouldn’t be surprised that you’re tracking MIDI export usage as you’ll want to measure the success/impact of features. But it would be good to know what you’re tracking, how identifiable any of the in-app tracking is, etc… Are you simply tracking that (e.g.) a MIDI export event occurred and comparing that against known user numbers/general usage levels?)

3 Likes
3 Likes

Of course, not saying that it should be bumped up any priority list, just that low use ≠ low interest levels/demand.

Again, not saying you should or shouldn’t do MIDI differently. Just making an observation.

1 Like

Honestly, to me, hooking up midi stuff to my phone is the step in the wrong direction. It just complicates things and it’s already so great and simple to create notes the way it already is. Not saying there aren’t advantages, but I think that it kind of clashes with the very point of Auxy, which is to keep things on the simpler side and to make music-making easy.

1 Like

I’m not saying I’d use it much either. Just pointing out that others would – and those others happen to be of a mindset about their tools where spending money is an accepted part of their pursuit of their musical interest/success.

Just thought that might be of interest to a business looking to secure revenue and grow.

Anyhoo, I’ll shut up about it now. :wink:

2 Likes

I was one of the very few users of the original apps MIDI features.
It’s still one of the best sequencers on the platform.

1 Like

Thanks! We also thought that it was an awesome way to control e.g. your modular system with a touch sequencer on iPad. Unfortunately there’s no way around the fact that people with access to nice hardware instruments will always be a small fraction of the total user base.

1 Like

Is there any possible way that we could import midi?

(The midi files would be sent to your device via email or something else and then you would import it into Auxy)

2 Likes

Audiobus3 MIDI input is an obvious fit for Auxy. Output would be fantastic but doesn’t fit with its present vision so well as input.

What is MIDI? I dont get it :wink:

You don’t need to with Audiobus 3 MIDI! You just load your input app or plug in your hardware controller, select Auxy and it automatically works as expected!

1 Like

I second this motion. I’ve found it hard to compose sometimes in Auxy and perhaps some import of note data would be helpful for this.

All we ask for, and I suppose might be the most important, is that you can import midi files (your favorite chord progression stored on your computer or from another app) and record midi outputs (keyboard you connect through usb or bluetooth). Yes, we might be a little bit niche within the Auxy community, but your thesis clearly stated your belief that mobile music making was the next generation, and it is. But to persuade the traditional artists, this may be a necessity. Not only because this pseudo DAW has a workflow that needs several improvements, but also because it has severe and explicit limitations. By adding this support you may be able to persuade a wider audience that this is the future. Imagine a guy on his morning one hour commute, with no time to sit down at his PC after a long day of his part time job and college hours. He carries his small 25 key piano keyboard in his backpack and his iPad Pro, because he has no other time. So he takes it out and places it on his lap and begins working. Not only is he a testament to others who hear his work and are facing similar issues, but also to commuters who might want to know how it is possible that he is making hits on a train with a keyboard and a tablet.

3 Likes

Would a MIDI be able to be manually connected to Auxy? I’m currently going to use one but I was unsure if it worked or not. Can anyone help me out with that?

2 Likes