Importance of good visuals

In your opinion, how important are solid visuals/branding and why?

They are not that important if your just making music for fun like me but if you plan to make money I would say the are relatively important.

1 Like

I’d agree. Here’s something else; do you think good visuals contribute to a better listening experience?

In some cases actually yes

1 Like

I’d also agree, yeah

1 Like

Visuals are good if theyre in videos meant to be watched. It would give the listener something to gawk at while they listen to tunes.

2 Likes

Sometimes I will check a song out solely cos it has cool cover art. So I guess it’s important.

1 Like

I think they’re super important. You can’t hear a track without first seeing its cover art (especially on mobile), so some kind of visual is the first thing a prospective listener will see. I can think of several times I’ve clicked a track because the art and name looked cool, and usually I was pleased by the song itself.

It’s also important to use consistent visuals. Pick some kind of cohesive theme, logo and format and stick to it for a while. If you do this right, the listener will hopefully associate your music with well-designed cover art. For me, this happens with Stereofield, Austin Haga, Produk and some others. (Many of the “original” Auxy artists really excelled at cover art and track visuals in general.) If you switch up your theme all the time, scrolling down your page will just look kind of messy. Of course, you can do a rebrand (as many people on this forum like to do), but you should focus more on your music than on rebranding if you already have good artwork.

TLDR, you should use good-looking, consistent artwork, especially if you’re a new artist.

Edit: Wait, I just realized you’re that Ian, haha. Your artwork is great already!

1 Like

Visuals have the potential to add a whole new level of cohesion to a musical work. If your work has a developed theme, artwork can reinforce or expand that theme in the minds of your listeners.

2 Likes