I’m out of ideas

Well guys, I’m officially on a producer’s block. I haven’t released a new track in quite a while and I haven’t even started a new track yet. I’m really just out of ideas and I don’t know where to start from. Any suggestions/ideas? I’d really appreciate it.

5 Likes

Just take a break. It works every time for me!

1 Like

When you come back, try starting with a drum track. They are usually pretty easy to create, and often are a great way to kickstart the creative process. I usually try to think of a genre, and then lay a generic kick pattern down that fits that genre. I then just keep adding stuff that seems to fit. This helps me because it’s easy to break a drum track down into tiny steps, and usually anything that fits with the rhythm and feel will sound good. No worries about the right notes/chords/harmonies (unless you’re using super weird melodic fx samples, and then I don’t know what to tell you anyway :grinning:) Once I’m satisfied with that, I will put in one of my favorite chord progressions. Often, I’ll try finding a really pretty sound for it, which is something I always enjoy. Often, at this point some sort of inspiration will find me, but if it doesn’t, I’ll try to stay positive. Instead, I’ll try to expand on what I already have (e.g.: arps or plucks based off of the chord progression, more drum stuff or FX, etc.) If things start to sound a little crazy, I’ll break the track back down and try adding a simple melody, often based off of one of the arps/chord progressions I made. If none of the above works, just
31%20AM
It always works :smiley:

But seriously, if none of the above works for you, save the project, and come back on another day. That is actually how some of my best tracks have been made…I came back after like 4 months, listened to the track, and suddenly got an idea of what I wanted to do. If you still feel like you want to write a song, try writing a new song after saving the one you just made. Don’t bother with what I said above, just try to make something new and fresh. It hopefully should be easier this time since you’ve already warmed up your musical “muscles” oof that comparison was really bad
Hopefully this super long, dry post didn’t just kill any last fragments of inspiration you might’ve had…

3 Likes

TAke a breal and listen to a butt tom of music. AND ANALYSE IT will give you the best chance of getting back in the swing of things. Also mess around on an instrument for 30 minutes, you may come up with something. you never know!

hope this helps!

~X

4 Likes

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know if this will work for you, but when I hit a producers block I try to learn a new genre or make a song in a genre I haven’t done in a long time.

This way, I can move forward and not feel like all my songs are repetitive.

Another great thing to do to get the ol’ creative juices flowing is to listen to other people’s music. Pick an artist that you like, listen to a bunch of his/ her tracks then try to make a song in that style.

If making a whole track seems to daunting or scary, just start with a 4 bar loop. Open up a project, get down a drum beat and mess around until something good comes up. Then, structure your tracks around that.

Here’s a last resort if none of the above work: self-impose restrictions. Limit yourself to for example, one drum kit, or only 8 instruments, pianos only, melodics first, anything really. Sometimes having too many options is overwhelming and it leads to procrastination.

Anyways, those are just a few tips. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Do a remix/cover of a song

1 Like

cough cinq cough

2 Likes

Heh

1 Like

Try collating with people

1 Like

Yes. Collecting and organizing things with others is a great idea.

3 Likes

CAUGH CAUGH me

2 Likes

Lol…

1 Like