How often should I make an album?

So I’m doing my first album and I thought “how often should I do this?”
I don’t think there’s a set timeline but if someone could be me a general idea that’d be great. Thanks for any replies.

The focus should be on quality, not quantity.

A better question would be “how often can I do this?”.

8 Likes

Not often.
Rarely, more like. Maybe one-two a year, every six months or so. maybe 3? idk

4 Likes

The answer is yes.

1 Like

Yes. But should you start on new album right after finishing the last one?

?

This text will be blurred

I really can’t answer that for you.

If it was me, I’d probably want to go on tour to play my latest album before making another one.

1 Like

also, album tip: never release all the songs for an album at the same time. It’s too much to listen through at once and you’ll generally get less overall listens, and imo, less overall hype.

3 Likes

Yea I’m not doing that. I’ve been working on a song with vocals for about a a week or 2 now. When it comes out might I tag you for feedback?
Right now I need to work on the bridge between what I like and what others like.
And feedback is crucial. Especially from experienced composers.

Although the phrase “quality over quantity” sounds right, I actually think it might depend on where you think you are in terms of your musical potential. For example if a guy was just starting producing and spent forever making a song he thought was “perfect”, he’s probably going to improve very rapidly and the song will sound like trash in a few months. It might be time better spent to not get too into the nitty-gritty and keep moving on. I don’t know where you think your at it terms of your skill potential, and there is definitely a place for quality over quantity, but this is just something to consider.

1 Like

I agree, but in the context of releasing albums, I would assume a level of competency at which an album is a realistic goal…?

2 Likes

I’m a little confused as to your wording, but you mean that if someone is releasing an album, that they might be at a higher level in their musical potential? Yeah, that could be a good point.

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I was getting at. :+1:

I think it’s probably worth differentiating between an album and grouping a bunch of songs together on Soundcloud. That’s just a playlist.

3 Likes

Just so I’m understanding you correctly… are you saying that (very nearly) every artist and label has been releasing albums the wrong way since the beginning of the record industry?

If so, I’d be interested to know what you’re basing that on.

2 Likes

:wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash:

1 Like

I think what he means is to release a few songs as singles first prior to the album, just like major labels do. To generate hype and give the vibe of the album. Otherwise it could be overwhelming for someone to jump into exploring a sound that would be 100% new to them.

1 Like

I suspect the same.
I’m just calling him out about the way he expressed it. :wink:

Some here might take it at face value.

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 a year or 1 for each season

1 Like