How does the Auxy Master Bus work internally?

Has anybody an idea of what is the exact setup that Auxy uses to blend the different instruments together ? Auxy seems to do a lot of magic, which sounds really good, but when I do a stem export to Ableton, it sounds so different, which kind of defeat the purpose of being able to export the track …

This has been kicked around a bit. I still for the life of me cannot find the nice discussion we had about it. I found this though Exporting individual instruments questions

Basically, it’s got compression and limiting inside that “black box”, maybe some other stuff too, but when you do a stem export you bypass all that (or if you export uncompressed wave of full mix). I don’t know that the devs ever went into detail about what’s happening under the hood but did confirm there’s a final stage for the audio.

I think the intention of stem export is for you to do your own mixing outside of Auxy, and potentially apply whatever AU/VST signal chains you’d normally use in your DAW of choice. Normally the idea is to get the cleanest sound possible when you’re doing a stem dump.

1 Like

The thing is I do 90% of my mix in Auxy, and am usually 95% happy with the mastering that’s done in there as well. It’s the sound I"m listening to while composing after all. But then I’d like to bring it into Ableton to add some longer samples, or some other effects on some instruments. But then I need to somehow get back the mastering sound I liked from auxy by re-mastering in Ableton, and I’m really struggling on that part.

Maybe I should try to have my instruments less loud in Auxy so that Auxy itself applies less compression, but I feel that the default settings are working against me on that part.

1 Like

@iammane nailed it pretty much on the head. It’s just a compressor and limiter, and possibly a thin layer of EQ. i haven’t taken a look at the files in Auxy for a while so the answer is eluding me atm

In general Auxy’s instruments export fine at max volume… usually… but I’ve had plenty of times where it clips when exporting individual samples. Namely drums, and Canoe (it behaves weirdly). Also, the base export also can clip a tiny bit, only about +0.1db, but it’s there. Again, mostly just noticeable on drums.

Auxy does not apply any fx bus on the individual samples aside from what’s already baked into the presets when exporting individual samples. A lot of the sounds already have some form of compressor tied to them, but these are more for the sound itself than a mastering application.

If you throw a basic compressor then boost your limiter’s gain and lower the attack and release times, you’re pretty much at the stage where Auxy leaves you off. Which is usually not ideal when actually mastering a track. Mastering a track involves a lot more work to make it good, and unfortunately it’s hard to describe exactly what needs to be done to actually master a track. I’d recommend looking tutorials up on YouTube and practicing with reference tracks. Once you do, you’ll see how much better mastering can be without Auxy’s black box approach.

1 Like

Re: mixing and mastering

Check out izotope’s ‘Are you listening?’ playlists on YouTube.

I stumbled on them earlier today and they’re a good intro and breakdown of the thinking, approaches and techniques for mixing and mastering. (I suck at M&M, but I’d like a bit more knowledge to make better M&M decisions, in case CloudBounce doesn’t give me something I’m happy with.)

There are actually two ‘seasons’ of ‘Are you listening?’, as well as loads of other great content on the subject. (You dint need to be using izotope M&M software for the advice to be helpful and useful.)

3 Likes