How do you make good chords

Im very bad at making chords myself so how do you make yours?

1 Like

Expirement.

Unless you want to do pop chords in a major key and then you’d use “numbers” 1, 4, 5, and 6. You’d then duplicate the notes and duplicate them above the notes by two notes and by two notes again. Then edit them until you like how they sound.

2 Likes

Auxy shows only the keys in the selected scale by default. eg: If you choose the “C” scale and set it to “Major” , then Auxy only displays the keys in the C major scale.

This page lists chord formulas you can experiment with:
http://www.smithfowler.org/music/Chord_Formulas.htm?i=1

Example: Using that page, you can see that a major 7th is based on the formula 1-3-5-7, so drop a note on each of those numbers in Auxy. The forumula doesn’t have to start on the 1 every time, so you can start on any of the keys - then treat that as “1” and count out the 3,5 and 7 from that starting point.

2 Likes

How do you chords? Asking for a friend.

9 Likes

I just play around until I like my chords. Try not to just have four chords and one on each bar, it gets boring.

1 Like

How to make dank Chords

https://app.auxy.co/projects/7iH60QQq9baJx3fRTRaChA==

2 Likes

adding 7’s, 9’s and 2’s really helps create tasty treats

8 Likes

Throw a m7b5#9 in there for a real kick in the guts!

8 Likes

Plenty of good tutorials on Youtube:

7 Likes

grapefruit technique

4 Likes

Gotta wrangle ‘em and tangle ‘em.

1 Like

For basic triads: 3 notes, skip every other note in a major or minor key

You can move those notes to different octaves which will usually look like one note, skip 3 and then skip 4 or the reverse

You can then add more to taste

In chromatic, skipping three or four will get you a one octave major or minor chord. The rest applies

2 Likes

Add a 7th, make those chords s p i c y

3 Likes

easy way out - triads
1s, 3s, 4s, and 5s r boring sometimes, add 7ths and 2s for j u i c y sounds

4 Likes

The great thing is Auxy previews the resulting chord for you when you move a note on top of other notes. So it’s real easy to experiment. Just stack some notes, highlight/grab em, then move them around to see what sounds cool.

5 Likes

Yes. Just yes.

2 Likes

@SUFOS
(Chromatic loops)

(YOU HAVE TO STAY IN KEY THOUGH!! Only use the notes in that’s scale/key so your chord progression could be majors and minors!!)

And to get that future bass feel you can add 7ths

you can also move notes around to different octaves

Hope this helps you I don’t have much music theory knowledge

6 Likes

Chords? First time I’ve heard of it.

5 Likes

Making it nice any easy for everyone…

Music theory can be mean sometimes😝

7 Likes