Headphone advice

Not sure if this fits into this category, but…

I want to get a really nice pair of head phones, I think I’m willing to drop@ least 300 on them…any advice on what I should get?

1 Like

I have Sony bass boosted headphones, they cancel out outside sound, and really improve the quality.

1 Like

Would you mind adding a little more info?

Are we talking $300 USD?
Just studio use? Or for use in places with ambient noise?
For DJing as well?
Do you have an interface/amp or will you plugging directly into your device?

1 Like

Avoid something that overexagerates any frequency. Therefore, avoid anything that advertised with some form of bass boost.

1 Like

Studio use
$300 us
No amp, but have looked intonsome thatbhave a pre amp

1 Like

I use Razer Kraken Neon Pro, they’re 109$ and they’re amazing. Been using them for 3 years now :slight_smile:

If you’re only using them in a studio, I’d highly recommend looking at semi-open/open headphones.
I’d also recommend getting a pair with replaceable cables and ear pads.

And finally, I’d try to find them in store to make sure they are comfortable.
It doesn’t matter how fancy your cans are, if they’re not nice to wear, you won’t.

All winners:

AKG K52 - $40
AKG K72 - $50
AKG K92 - $60
AKG K240 mkII - $150

Audio Technica ATH-M20X - $50
Audio Technica ATH-M30X - $70
Audio-Technica ATH-M40X - $100
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X - $150
Audio-Technica ATH-M60X - $200
Audio-Technica ATH-M70X - $300

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro - $180
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro - $250

Sennheiser HD280 Pro - $100
Sennheiser HD380 Pro - $150
Sennheiser HD25 - $150
Sennheiser HD25 Plus - $200

Shure SRH840 - $200

Sony MDR7506 - $100

2 Likes

Honestly, it doesn’t matter a whole lot what kind of headphones you get as long as the frequencies/ quality is consistant with other speakers or headphones you use. Obviously you want some headphones that cover low and high enough on the spectrum, but other than that, there’s not much else.
I’ve been using some TDK ST800’s for the last 5 years, good build quality, sound is pretty smooth.

As you use your headphones more and more you get adjusted to them and figure out how to properly balance your mix so it not only sounds good with your headphones, but also other devices. So another important part of this would be to keep up with the same pair of headphones year after year. Sound quality quickly changes between headphones, but what you’re accustomed to hearing (which translates to your mixing) takes a much longer time.

1 Like

Question:

Do you have a DAW?

If not, why do you want to spend $300 on headphones? Making music with Auxy isn’t so in-depth that you’d need to hear all the frequencies extremely well.

Also, if you don’t have a DAW, I’d suggest buying one if you can afford it.

Just to counter this point quick, I bought nice headphones, and do have a DAW, but never use it. @Bassment_Chemists could be in the same boat as me where he just wants a good pair of cans and maybe works like 50 hours a week or more and commutes or whatever. Just throwing it out there haha

I’ll also agree with all of what @blakkaz wrote - I have the Sennheiser 380HDs (Thanks AKA :)) and they’re great - very good response.

No matter what you get spend a lot of time also listening to music through them so that you get to learn the sound.

1 Like

I agree that frequency exaggeration is dangerous, but with with some Sony models you can turn the bass boost on or off, plus, when you’re going wired, you aren’t even able to enable the bass boosting. I have the Sony MDR-XB950BT that do that and can use them for just about anything. Highly recommend for auxy.

3 Likes

Austin I have the same headphones :joy::joy:

+ @AnirudhKhanna

I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB950B1, which is the slightly newer version of the MDR-XB950BT.
I use them for general listening (or a pair of Sennheiser CX 6.00BT in-ears.)

(I use Sennheiser HD 380 Pro for monitoring.)

I wouldn’t recommend the Sony XB for referencing/monitoring. Even without Extra Bass activated, they still have a significant bass bias. Great for listening. Not great for an honest reference.

If you’re making music only for yourself and you only intend to listen on those headphones, then sure, they’re fine to use. But, as a pair of reference headphones for music intended for broader playback, they’re not at all suitable.

2 Likes

You can also use a site like Reference Audio Analyzer to check out the frequency response of your current/potential headphones.

Wow thank you all for all of the advice, I love seinheiser thats what I used when I was working at a video production job as our monitor headphones.honestly I’m thinking about open as they will mostly be used in a controlledenvironment, although Idon’t have a saw I will be using them for editing videos, and really just want a nicer pair to hear more range during listening of music. I used to have a pair of Sony mdr that I really liked, but have heard good things about AKG so I think ill go to best buy and check those out too. Again thank you all for the advice

2 Likes

Sorry to piggy back off this topic, but does anyone ever run into the issue of suddenly getting only one channel of audio from your headphones? Like just in one ear? This seems to happen to me about once every year or so and I dunno if it’s something I’m doing or if there’s a way to maybe open the headphones and it’s a simple fix or what. Any advice?

Every year?? That’s odd. Might be a broken wire (check connection points: to phone, to each ear etc). If when you mess with those sections, you get the cutout, that’s your problem.

Those don’t have accurate sound reproduction, I tried the demos at Bestbuy and I had to take them off :sweat_smile:

Best bang for your buck, that are on my wishlist, are the ATH m50x and Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro. One is closed back and one is open back, respectively. They are sub 200 dollars, and you don’t need an amp, but I recommend one so that you can really appreciate their quality. A decent amp is 20-50 bucks.

P.S. I would choose openback (if you are going to use them at home) they are a life changer, it’s like going from a 60hz monitor to a 144hz, night and day.

Investing in a high quality pair of headphones can go beyond Auxy (although frequency discerning is still an important feature to have). For example:

Commuting and listening to some tunes, where a pair of headphones that (partially) cancel outside audio would be beneficial.

General listening to music for pleasure or as a learning experience where you want to get a well rounded mix to the fullest extent.

Producing and working up to a desktop DAW–fairly self explanatory here.