GENRE: __Synthwave (and general “-wave”)__

Hey @Peregrihn sorry to bother you, but is this Synthwave or Chillwave?
07:00am

1 Like

It’s not a bother, I’ll listen in a bit :+1:t2:

1 Like

@Plhector one thing I notice right off is that it definitely exudes the chillwave vibe but I think I needs to be slower And maybe shift the progression a bit… it sounds alright but I’d extend it and probably change around a few notes to capture the vibe. I really like the melodic accents carried by one or more of the vintage keys, but as I said before I think the entire think could and should be slowed down not only for the vibe but because 2 minutes is a bit short, eh? :upside_down_face: good track thus far tho :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I would love the edit the track, but I sadly lost the original project file…
2 minutes is a little short, but there’s really nothing I can do as of right now. Once I get some music software for my PC I’ll just sample the whole track and chop up some parts and see what I can come up with.
Thanks for the feedback though :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We should get this going again

3 Likes

Yes!

Recently I discovered GUNSHIP
After largely and unreasonably ignoring their existence, I gave them a listen for senior thesis research and discovered how awesome they are! Don’t know why I didn’t investigate sooner, guess fate said to wait.

2 Likes

Would also recommend checking out Dance with the Dead. Found them during a DJ stream that a youtube follow was doing.

Personally Thrasher is my fav, but they have some really good stuff

3 Likes

if anyone is interested in synthwave i recently made a synthwave based label

pls submit to us

4 Likes

Big collab on the way to submit to ya

1 Like

Having lived through the 80s, I find it remarkable how often synthwave producers seem to be fascinated by the cheesiest electronic music made back then …

3 Likes

What other style was there? :joy: in all honesty, making things that sound cheesy into really awesome tracks that tell stories is extremely fun

1 Like

As much as I enjoy the trip down memory lane, I find most synthwave too kitsch.

Have you explored minimal wave?
I think it references the good stuff from the 80s, without the cheese.

2 Likes

Chillwave also does that

2 Likes

@Peregrihn You’ll probably like this song
Heat

1 Like

Yes indeed

2 Likes

For anyone interested, I’m going to update how I believe synthwave is defined as a genre:
Synthwave is an umbrella genre under which fall a multitude of 1980s retrofuturist inspired sounds. Synthwave producers use a variety of retro synthesizers and drum machines in order to create their retro vibe. Synthwave (also sometimes called retrowave) can be divided into sub genres and even sub sub genres. I shall provide a list and description as best I can:

• Outrun - outrun is the cliche “cheesy” video gaming style music that one would immediately associate with the 80s. Named for a popular racing game, outrun music has a general driving pulsating fast vibe that gets you hooked with rhythmic bass and powerful brass synth triads [Examples coming soon]

• Chillwave/Chillsynth - a genre of Synthwave that does not necessarily or specifically feel 80s until you think about it. The synths used are retro, but the rhythm is often marked by dotted quarter notes strung together 2 bars at a time with chords dominating the mid frequencies and soft analog basses following the same pattern. Occasional melodic solos with intelligent syncopation are sometimes used.

1. Chillwave subgenre: dreamwave - focuses on airy sound and ambiance; even though Chillwave is slow (70-90 bpm) dreamwave is even slower around 60-80bpm and combines low and high frequencies
  • Datksynth (not darkwave) - a harsh metallic version of outrun that is influenced by metal rock and uses bass risers and extremely fast rhythms combined occasionally with harmonic minor synth melodies or sounds to invoke fear or sorrow or mystery

TBC

Note: one other commonality is the use of arpeggiated 7th chords and arpeggios in general as a form of driving rhythm, especially when arpeggiated in dotted syncopation or used in melodies with complex rhythm

3 Likes

nice i’m excited

1 Like

I lied big oof

1 Like

:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like