GENRE: ___Future Bass___

This topic is for general discussion about Future Bass

Chat with others who like this genre about:

• New or Favorite tracks and artists
  • Music making techniques
  • Samples / instruments

Please paste your finished Future Bass tracks in the #Tracks category so all the tracks are in one location, but you can post a link to that topic from here if you want.

3 Likes

Hey everyone

Im gonna lurk in this thread and help out

12 Likes

Instruments to use:

• Silk
  • Hour

… that’s it…

4 Likes

I think Mascara is also a pretty good instrument for layering w/ silk & hour.

6 Likes

But for real, here are my FB tips:

• Don’t always make equal wubs… add some rhythm! Triplets, 1/32, etc.
  • You’re gonna need some tasty chords…
  • Percussion is really crucial. I’ll post some common drum sounds below.
  • Wubs go well with chill music.

Good instruments to use/my personal favorites:

Lead:

• Hour
  • June
  • Coin (for tracks leading towards the chill side)
  • Igloo (for spookier tracks)

Bass:

• Lake
  • Punch
  • Shade
  • Flag (for heavy FB)

Chords:

• Silk
  • Hour
  • Mascara
  • Spray
  • Jelly
  • Silo (to add flavor to ambient tracks. -Produk)

Drums:

• Snare 23
  • Dollar’s snare
  • Whack’s snare
  • Kick 38
  • Clap 67
  • Anything from Organic Elements 1
9 Likes

Some good basses to wub with are:

-Subway(eat fresh, makes it nice and gritty, don’t)
-Pepper(if done right)
-Flag(makes it v crispy)
-Low octaves on a piano(I used this in Memories, I recommend for a subtle, rich feel)
-Slope(goes great w/ fragment or spray, makes it really tight and tense+gritty)
-The low octaves on Hour(try this pls, can give feels and sounds really cool)
-The low octaves on Vacuum(when skillfully paired w/ Subway, can create cool sound, I used this in Don’t)
-Experiment yourself, don’t just copy me!

Really, when layering chords the low octaves of the instruments you use can create some cool basses as well.

Layering basses is fine, just DO NOT overdo it.

6 Likes

In my opinion, drums in Future Bass is just as important as the wubs. Having a basic pattern is boring and an instant turn off for most fb fans (or at least me). You should have great drums with lots of different sounds.

Percussion from organic elements 1 & 2 (1 is better imo) are great to add little extra sounds to the drums.

Also, don’t forget hi-hats. This goes for most (up-beat/exciting) genres, but remember hi-hats, and not just a simple continuous pattern, add rolls and triplets, anything that sounds good to the beat of the song. It also sounds great to change the pitch to them minimally. Don’t make he hi-hats too loud, and always (for every instrument) mess with the volume bars until it sinks into the song.

Here’s a project link with a drum pattern for example. These are he drums in my next song, so please don’t steal it, it’s just an example.
https://app.auxy.co/projects/2gEKIGD2RS5lFBsQcg9DIQ==
Not too many hi-hats, but they didn’t sound great in the song itself when there were more. Still a good example.

1 Like

Of course Produk is the first person to reply to the thread :joy:

1 Like

Bump. Don’t make the hi-hats too complicated, because that can end up sounding really jumbled. Also, carefully pick your hi-hat sound. Some can be too dark sounding, some are too harsh, some are too soft, so pick one that matches your style.

1 Like

Also Silo if you wanna do slower, more ambient Future Bass. Can layer interestingly over Journey or a piano.

1 Like

In terms of a more ambient future bass, I layered Silo and Morning in my song Article to create a future bassy sound for the non-drop portions. It worked really well.

I use a higher pitch Beam with half ducker for kick only and full shape

1 Like

Rn I’m using spray at about half tone and full shape, and vessel at about half lowpass, half tone, and 3/4 shape

Anyone got any favourite artists or songs they’d like to list? I’m not too big on listening to the genre other than Flume and “bitbird” artists, so it would be nice to get some recommendations.

Where’s this level of tips on any other of the genre threads?

Just saying…

1 Like

I expected nothing less, tbh. But I digress. Make some tips on other threads maybe the hip-hop thread perhaps

1 Like

this thread has me, the others don’t

:wink:
i make yt vids on this stuff for crying out loud

1 Like

make more XD

it’s coming soon

in youtube feeds near you

3 Likes

good