FIVE tips for beginners?

If you could give 5 tips that you wish you knew when you first started making songs,
What would they be?

4 Likes

Experiment, seriously. It’s how you do good. Try to make music that you like, replicate it, and improve on it.

6 Likes

My five basic tips would be: -

1. Spend time choosing multiple sounds (layers) that sound good together by copying existing layers and changing the instrument. Layer drums, bass and melody.
  2. Include a sub-bass. It makes a big difference even if it’s barely audible.
  3. Include variation throughout tracks by introducing sounds, automation, breaks, silence, etc to keep the listener’s interest.
  4. Watch the tutorial videos in this forum.
  5. Don’t plagiarise other people. Even this week a track was posted with chords from another Auxy song. People notice.
13 Likes
  1. How to make a sub-bass not sound too overpowering.
  2. Not use panda in every single track… (go to my old account Dj Peløton to see that)
  3. How to actually make music.
    4.the art of Wubs
  4. Eh I got nothing else
2 Likes

Learn some music theory

You don’t need to be Mozart, but you’ll certainly benefit the more you know.

Learn synthesis

If you’re creating electronic music, understanding what oscillators, envelopes and filters actually do will enable you to create your sound.

Limit your tools

Having 300 plugins sounds impressive, but you’ll end up just flicking through presets.
Find a handful that fit your workflow and master them.

Don’t follow trends

By the time you master them, everybody else has moved on…

Have fun

16 Likes

Off topic question, but how did you create those lines between each tip?

Good advice too.

Three minus symbols.

---

4 Likes
  1. Spend lots of time on your tracks
  2. know music theory(at least know how to make chords)
  3. don’t be afraid to ask questions
  4. know what you’re good at
  5. be unique
8 Likes
  1. Keep experimenting! If you struggle making something you like, keep trying.
  2. Don’t strive for popularity, strive for making music you love.
  3. Be sure to add every component of a track! Everything is important, especially bass to give the track foundation.
  4. Don’t plagiarize!
  5. Have fun! Don’t keep creating certain music genres ‘cause everyone else is doing it. Make music that makes you have fun.
6 Likes
  1. Listen to tons of music.

2. Never compare what you have to others—different people=different places.

3. Never measure your work by the amount of attention it gets(still working on that :confused:)

4. Be chill. (I’m serious about this one.)

5. Only make stuff you like.

3 Likes
  1. Try to get all of your tracks to a point where you think it is great. Don’t be pressured by time and posting schedules.

1. Like everyone else said, learn some music theory. It doesn’t even have to be that much. Just watch some YouTube videos on music theory.

1. Listen, listen, listen. Especially the genre that you want to make. Think about how to implement things from songs you listen to into your own music.

1. Don’t just slam down random notes. Know what you are going to do before you do it. This might be hard at first, but it helps a lot in making songs that you like. That brings me to my fifth tip.

1. Make what you like and don’t think that you should ever be doing something else, if this is what you want to do.

I just wanted to say that this is a great thread, but I thought I should contribute. :slight_smile:

5 Likes
  1. Know what the knobs do and how to use them (ie; lowpass)
  2. Use at least a little reverb
  3. Look to improve with every song, experiment.
  4. B e U n i q u e
  5. Enjoy what you do. Don’t get wrapped up in likes & reposts
2 Likes

I’d like to add a sixth.

Tune your drums.

When you realise what a huge difference this makes you’ll feel like a dope for not doing it sooner.

:musical_score: :drum:

3 Likes

What do you mean? Like pitch?

2 Likes

Yep.

Kicks and toms especially, but even unpitched drums can benefit from a nudge to prevent unwanted overtones.

1 Like

Nah fam turn that knob up on every instrument

4 Likes
  1. Create movement, texture and interest in sounds using automation on Low Pass Filter, Hi Pass Filter, Shape and Tone.

2. Layer sounds / avoid using unaltered stock Auxy sounds.

3. Understand and make use of transitions in your compositions.

4. Use Chromatic mode as much as possible. It opens you up to so many more possibilities.

5. Always remember: It’s not about Auxy, it’s about your music, so also join other (non-Auxy) music communities.

6. Actively listen to lots of music. Read lots of articles (starting here, here or here, maybe).

7. Understand what you want to get out of making music - and set some goals.

8. Have fun.

9 Likes

I’ve noticed that most people are talking about music itself, so I’ll do a tip for something different, because it’s also useful.

Naming songs is hard. No doubt about that. If you don’t already have a name in mind for your song, it’s good to listen to the whole thing and just let your mind go elsewhere. What do you see? What does it remind you of? Those results can make good song titles sometimes.

If that doesn’t work, simply think of the mood of the song. If it’s a bouncy upbeat tune, try something like “Good Times Today”, or maybe it’s a sad, but also electronic tune. In that case, try something like “Digital Lament”.

And if all that doesn’t work, the internet is your friend. Search up song names for the type of song you’ve made and see what comes up.

Hopefully this helps! :grin:

3 Likes

I am not self promoting myself. I just cannot be bothered typing. But here are my SEVEN tips:

2 Likes
  1. Learn a bit of music theory. Don’t go overboard, but learn the basics of rhythms, chords, and chord progressions.

1. Create your own synths by layering and experimenting with filters. Try and stay away from the basic Auxy sounds. Instead, layer 2-3 different instruments, twiddle with the tone/shape/lowpass filters, and see what happens.

1. Go ham with percussion. Toms, percussion, hats, kicks, snares. Try and experiment with the sounds you have, and set the mood for the song. Drum loops with 32nds and spazzy drums can work toward dark, fast songs, while drum loops with light drums and pitched snares can work for lighter songs (like future bass).

1. Listen repeatedly to what you make. You might accidentally forget to add automation to an instrument, or a melody might be too loud. Listen over and over to spot any mistakes and fix it before you publish it.

1. Accept criticism. I’ll admit, when I was young I hated criticism. But, in order to be consistently improving, you need to take advice from others, whether it be good or bad. Trust me, you will improve.

(on a side note, I don’t know how @akabillposters can manage to write a whole essay consistently. I’m already tired after typing this short list xD)

3 Likes