Define "Creativity"

What would you call “creative” music? Not creative?

3 Likes

I can give you my thoughts on this but just curious, why are you asking?

Not my music!

Audience laughs loudly

11 Likes

I need help.

7 Likes

Uhmm… I don’t know.

Something out of the norm, something original. No basic and boring kick-snares, simple chord progressions and bass lines.

ex: https://app.auxy.co/projects/pTl8fDODtXfVAlJwxhoiDQ==

Songs can be un-creative yet can still sound more complex than the above link.

You’re probably wondering “are mah wubz unoriginal?” Well, not really. Wubs are a trend in the Auxy community, and I personally think they’re pretty awesome.

An example of a creative is your song Memories, because it has the original wubby plucky thing. (It’s original if it was done by automation… if it’s just a new sound that’s similar to Silo, then… probably not) :wink:

3 Likes

Creative music is music that pushes your boundaries personally. Such a thing is so subjective it’s kinda silly to try and describe it. It’s doing things in different ways that you’ve never done before, that you never would do otherwise. Trying something risky, like making a non-edm track. Anything like this is what i’d consider to be creative.

4 Likes

I agree. To most people, Future Bass is the most uncreative genre. But if you’re making it for the first time, it seems like the most creative genre ever, since it’s new to you. Anything you’re trying out for the first time ever is original to you, so the definition of creative really varies from person to person.

3 Likes

This exactly when i was creating Article. Seriously.

2 Likes

If you want to make creative music you should copy these tutorials to sound exactly like your favourite ghost producer. You’ll get heaps famous.

5 Likes

The best video is the DnB one. Add some reverb i mean add some reverb. oh and some delay too.

2 Likes

You’ve watched them?

2 Likes

Just the future bass and DnB ones, but I love the dnb one xD

1 Like

4 Likes

I think creative is when you do something different. Thats why so many small producers go viral because they think creatively, Take Kygo (If you dont know who he is then you better start to listen to the radio), He built a sound that billions love and he went viral. He now makes song with Selena Gomez and is the fastest artist to reach 1 billion streams on spotify.

1 Like

Creativity for me is bringing something new and innovative to the plate. It inspires people to manipulate whatever it is you’ve created and flexibly design their own interpretation of it.

Take Flume for an example; he created his own sound, distinct and individual from any other. Many people were and still are inspired by him (myself included) to create music the same quality of his, which oftentimes means taking his concepts and applying them to alternative contexts.

1 Like

ayy lmao. AcesToAces

S T A C K T H E L A Y E R S

3 Likes

S T A CK t HE LAYER S

2 Likes

TBH, I’m not sure that any of what you said points to creativity - least of all the mass appeal. (The reason I don’t listen to [mainstream] music radio is precisely because of the lack of creativity in their playlists.)

The larger a group gets, the lower the tolerance for creativity gets. Even within mainstream music, a group like Alt J will have a fraction of the following of, say, Taylor Swift. A group like Oneohtrix Point Never will have a smaller following than Alt J.

The more you stray from popular ideas of taste, the more of an ‘acquired taste’ you become - and the smaller your following gets.

(This is not to say that ‘less popular = more creative/original’. Even using popular styles doesn’t guarantee popularity.)

Popularity is not a direct measure of creative originality. If anything, the opposite is more true. This is just symptomatic of how culture works and how the definition of what’s creative continually shifts.

It’s rare that a new genre will enjoy popular appeal on day one. For example, Burial enjoyed only a fraction of the appeal that Skrillex now has.
Burial was relatively niche. Skrillex is mainstream.

(Keep in mind that when Burial and his contemporaries started early Dubstep, it was built on the genres of Dub and 2-Step/UK Garage, so an original fusion, but not thoroughly original.)

That’s not to say that the music is good or bad. ‘Good’ and ‘bad’ aren’t aren’t measured by the sameness scale as ‘original’ and ‘unoriginal’.

There’s a reasonable argument to be made that popularity is a fair sign of how ‘good’ a piece of music is. So, Taylor Swift, it could be argued, is ‘better’ music than Alt J or Kygo (who I’ll assume she outsells consistently).

(Happy to be corrected on that one.)

Now, this isn’t to say that the masses don’t need something new. Cultural tastes for something new constantly evolve, and can be steered by mass media. But it rarely strays far from the centre of mass and very rarely expands.

Taylor Swift, Marshmello and all those enjoying huge mainstream popularity now will likely become uninteresting, even to the masses, and someone new, with a slightly different sound will become the big thing - for a while.

Now, having never knowingly heard Kygo, I suspect that if I checked out his stuff now, I’d walk away with a very different impression to you about his level of creativity.

“Billions”? I suspect that’s a teensy bit of an overstatement. :wink:

3 Likes

Creativity is giving something new form. As clay can be sculpted into a vase, so too can the strings of a guitar be arranged to create something new. You don’t have to make anything especially different for something to be creative. You can take what you like outta jazz and make your own jazz song.

I think the most important aspect of creativity is putting what you’ve learned into what you do – to create something that suits your tastes and needs.

1 Like