I made a set of things and I have no idea what to do with it. It doesn’t feel on par with what I usually make, so… help…?
At least for me, the first two scenes sound like you’re going for some cyberpunk vibes. The title also leads me in that direction. Aside from completely redoing the project, I’m not sure how much I could help, but here’s some advice I could give about it if you’re going for a cyberpunk vibe:
- Make your drum beat more consistent if you’re going for something like midtempo: a simple four-on-the-floor and a heavy vintage sounding snare on 2 and 4 works well.
- Use heavier samples, kicks and snares from the neurofunk pack work especially well for cyberpunk.
- Layer the bass with other instruments from either the “hard bass” category and don’t distort them too much, or add instruments from the “bass” category and distort the crap out of them with sineshaper. (within reason, you don’t want basses growling themselves out of existence.)
- Reduce the amount of transition notes in between the general pattern of low —> high —> low —> high in the bass. Otherwise, it sounds a little bit all-over-the-place.
- Add a lead that’s either “haunting” (think a combination of pads (with short/no attack) and something like sweet aa or sweet oo) or “harsh” (think anything from disturbing leads, etc.) with a more complex melody reminiscent of the bass line. For example, you could take the transition notes out of the bass line and add them to the melody.
*the notes circled in blue are an example of what I’m referring to with “transition notes”
That’s the simplest feedback I think I can give about how to turn this into a more cyberpunk-esque track. I might try and implement some of this myself into the project later and send it back, but I’m not sure if I’ll have time. Good luck though!
I’ll be honest with you: when I make a track, I don’t usually have a genre in mind, so I generally just make a thing and don’t know what to categorise it under. This is awesome advice, and I’m really glad you took the time to write it. When my brain isn’t made of thumbtacks, I’ll get back to making this doozy. Bless your soul, dude.