Chord Problem

So guys last year I wrote nearly two thousands songs and now I’ve been having trouble coming up with chorrds, which I think is because of how many tracks I finished last year. Do you have any advice?

Take a break, thats the best thing to do when you’re faced with such problems
You’ll soon find that you’re humming away an interesting progression and voila pick up yr phone and remake in Auxy.
Despite how old this advice is, it seems to work fo me try it out might just help​:smiley::+1:t3:

3 Likes

Try experimenting with classical harmony, especially extended harmony. Secondary dominants, secondary leading tones, maybe dive into some jazz theory and find some 6th chords. Use chromaticism. Sure it may not translate right into auxy (trust me on that one, they don’t consider me the king of dissonance for nothing x3) but it’s a great learning experience.

1 Like

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Maybe you should try not thinking in terms of chords per se, but just layering notes however you want. Intertwining, stacked melodies, in the same instrument. You can get great stuff this way

1 Like

Sit down at the piano, and try playing random combinations of the black keys only. I’ve unintentionally created some really cool, unusual chords by doing this. The key is to spread you hands out over two octaves or so, because your get a larger range of pitches that way.

If you don’t have a piano, you should probably get one anyways. :wink:

2 Likes

Minor pentatonic scale ;3

2 Likes

Given that you would have written about 5 songs a day last year, you’re probably a bit burned out. Take some time and listen to other people’s tracks and you’ll be inspired. My new WIP synthwave track was inspired by a song that I heard while just playing SoundCloud in the background. Yes, it really works!

1 Like

How the bloody heck did you manage to write so much?

1 Like

Haha I have no idea honestly :sweat_smile:

Go into chromatic and use a random note that you like and use it as the root note of the chord, then imagine what the next one feels like. Then find the note that fills that feeling and keep going until you have a lengthy progression. I usually struggle with the 3rd chord and the 8th chord in the progressions.

1 Like

Make huge chords with like ten notes each.

1 Like

Haha I did that for my song Hypernova. The synth chords increased by one each time as the song picked up. Super nice trance technique imo

1 Like

yup!

Future Bass is to Seventh Chords as Hotel is to Trivago

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

2000?! whhhhat

1 Like