Can someone explain the High Gain/Shelf/Low Gain/Shelf?

I’m talking about when you click on Volume. That EQ/Gain stuff.

I still don’t think I fully grasp it.

I get that you’re setting the “gain“ to a certain frequency and the shelf slider will boost or decrease that frequency. But is that all?

When I turn the sliders (especially on the lows) all the way up and down, it changes the sound in ways that I wouldn’t expect. So, I guess there’s just other stuff going on I still don’t quite understand.

(Does anyone actually even mess with this stuff anyway?)

Believe it or not, I have a good bit of experience with more traditional EQs. I REALLY wish Auxy would give us some a more standard EQ - preferably something like Fab Filter would amazing! I guess because I’m just more of a visual person.

Thanks!!

It’s a basic 3-band EQ. Well, technically two, but it can work like a 3-band one if done smartly. It functions similarly to higher band EQ’s, but without the way to change the type of band. It’s only a shelf. And no ability to set the steepness of the curve either.

1 Like

A shelf filter will boost/cut all frequencies above/below the cutoff frequency.
But yes, that’s all.

You are changing the harmonic content of the sound by using a filter, so it could just be that other downstream processors are reacting differently to the signal.

4 Likes

The EQ is technically the last in the chain, so that’s likely an artifact or biproduct of the intense compresser and limiter on the master bus.

1 Like

From the screenshots that have been shared, it looks like processors can be freely moved in the signal chain.

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 10.03.18 am

It can be. But it’s almost certainly being processed last in most instruments. At least from what I can tell.