Auxy running on Mac or Windows

I would recommend either FL Studio or Ableton. As Logic Pro X is only Mac, and I have no experience with it, I cannot say. I personally would recommend FL Studio, as it’s what I use, but many prefer Ableton. Neither are designed like Auxy, but the workflow adjustment is easier on FL according to some people I’ve talked to about similar things. As I myself use FL alongside Auxy for things such as mastering, the adjustment wasn’t that difficult. It just takes a little getting used to.

Especially for soft synths, I would highly encourage Serum, as it’s practically a beefed up version of the Auxy sound engine. This has been confirmed by the devs, who based its design off of how Serum handles its sounds. It’s quite a fantastic program and is easy to pick up but is so deep it’s worthwhile mastering it.

Workflow is still rough, and I’d also highly encourage you to look into exporting stems from Auxy and importing them into a DAW such as FL or Ableton. This is how I produce my music, and it works wonders. I’m probably going to do some sort of tutorial in the future about how to interweave the two, because it’s not that difficult once you really start to see outside the box.

Wow this topic is alive again

Funny tho, i personally found FL to be a pretty confusing to use the few time’s ive used it (someone installed the free one on a school laptop). I found GB to be a lot easier to pick up, but that’s just me (and logic is pretty much built like gb) It does sound like JKos uses pc tho, so probably no access to gb.

But any desktop daw is def going to be much harder to pick up, but Auxy is a great stepping stone to help. You could make all the melodies n stuff with auxy then just export to midi/ another Daw and further develop it more so than you could with just auxy.

ehhhh i dont really think so lol. There’s def a steep learning curve to it. But once you do get gud at it, you can make anything with it (Virtual Riot is an actual god with serum)

anyway regardless, the dev’s are still focused on keeping Auxy a mobile app for a multitude of reasons.

Awesome! But why do you want to switch to a desktop app then?

I have Auxy on both my iPhone 6 Plus and my iPad Mini 2.
Which do you think I prefer to work on?

Maybe there’s something in that.

Additionally, the other UIs that come with desktop - i.e. Finder, rather than iOS Files - would benefit overall workflow.

It’s also possible that a desktop version would be innately more accessible for young and sigh- impaired users due to everything being bigger.
(For the user, a desktop version might appeal more than buying an iPad Pro for the larger screen.)

Just a few possible reasons.

Because he would love to use a controller/keyboard. He is a very good piano/keyboard player and could compose even faster on Auxy if he could use a controller.

• John

wait but if you can play the piano/keyboard well, then would an actual desktop DAW not work better than auxy? For Auxy you can only lay down notes; you can’t midi-in to it.

Name a desktop DAW that’s as intuitive and easy to use as Auxy?

Exactly, unfortunately.

• John

As mentioned before, while some desktop daws may not be entirely as intuitive and easy to use, once mastered they can be very powerful. I’d highly recommend FL studio as it doesn’t have as steep of a learning curve, along with Serum as a softsynth.

Or, you could be the father of the year and get him some retro analogue synths. Do it the old fashioned way! (Not joking here, I’d love if my parents would have been this supportive of me and music back when I was a kid. If only things like Auxy were around back then… I can only dream xD)

Cubase is free and there’s also a lot of free plugins that you can get that are pretty good. I think serum is def top of the line, but if you’re just starting out and not looking to blow $200, there’s free stuff you can get too.

as for @JKos, i’ve used garageband for a long time and i’ve definately gotten much better at it over time (a lot of it i feel l can thank auxy for). I was able to pick stuff up very quickly with it and i’ve only gotten better. It’s a pretty user friendly (there’s even a little button you can toggle and it’ll tell you what things do). The presets are also good by themselves if you don’t want to get a bunch of vst’s and au’s though there are plenty of great ones up for grabs (both paid and free). So that’d be my recommendation for an easier transition between Auxy and the world of desktop daws.

Obviously, it’s not built like auxy, but i have heard of plugins that work like that, but i cant remember their names. Like you just pick a key and from then on it will only allow you to place notes in that key which is pretty much auxy.

Another note is that idk if you even have access to a mac (which is what u need for garageband), but again, i believe Cubase is free and is compatible with windows. It’s not as clean as garageband in terms of looks, but you can probably do a lot more (considering there are pro’s who use it)

Korg Gadget (Mac and iOS) comes pretty close.

How about an Android release? That way we can use an Android emulator on PC to run auxy. Judging by how terrible the iOS emulation market is, and how much more open ended Android is, I feel like Android emulation would be much farther along and better suited.

It’s not a perfect solution but it would be better than nothing.

An Android version has been requested and rejected a few times on the grounds that they don’t consider the sound engine to be robust enough for the kind of processing Auxy does.

Plus, the cost of maintaining two versions with such a small team wasn’t considered practical.

That was a while ago, so perhaps things have changed, both with Android and the team’s views about how practical it would be. But, it’s unlikely the latter has changed.

Ahem, keyboard shortcuts

Similarly, I hope they don’t ever make 3D Touch support a requirement for accessing any features/controls.

…unless they’re happy to p**s-off and possibly lose many of their pre-3D Touch device using customers, which could be substantial given the young-leaning Auxy user demographic.

Or iPad users.