Automation Tips and Tricks

Hey guys, Tornait. I’ve recently been having trouble with automation. I’ve been making some decent starting tracks, but… Automation escapes me. I guess I’m just not at the point where I can fluently translate my ideas onto Auxy. However, some help with automation could really fix that. Feel free to share tips and tricks on automation. If you’ve got the pictures, that’s even better! And it’s not just me who needs help with this. If we all share stuff we know, then we can all get better at using automation.

4 Likes

Lowpass is good for tremolo.

I like to use ducker and a combination of “tremolo” (lowpass automation) to create a triplet effect on the tremolo. Also some reverb and shape (if applicable on certain instruments. i.e Sound of Vibrant) will make some nice ambient tones. Use some compression on the drums so that the bass doesn’t distort as much. And that’s all i can think of/ know. :smile:

1 Like

Usually, unless I know EXACTLY what I’m trying to do and what the automation clip it supposed to look like, I put a pattern on loop and just play with the knobs. Since we can’t direct record knob fiddling I keep auditioning it and imagining what it would look like on the automation time line. Then I draw it out and adjust.

I like to automate delay and reverb, usually full on/full off for effect. Sometimes automating the ducker. Snare pitch, but YMMV there because tweaking that is very much a DnB thing (like drawing pitch “steps” to alter snare).

Pitch automation of course, especially on Punch you get a real nice bending sub bass.

I guess that’s about all I got right now.

See second drop: https://soundcloud.com/zephsound/exium-3/s-onjYf :grin:
It almost sounds like vocals

Always add increasing pitch to snares in buildups that have intervals quicker than 1/16.
Add highpass if you’re willing to expirement a bit :smirk:

I like to add little pitch bends at the beginning of some notes in the melody

4 Likes

I’m kind of an automation g e e k, so here r sum tips:

• with Sweeper™, min. to max. lowpass and vice versa on two 4-bar scenes can transition well
  • like with what @iammane said, Punch with pitch bending can make for an epic trap sub bass
  • talking about trap, when mixing 1/32 and 1/16 snares, snare pitch bending them can also transition well, or just make for a cool sounding effect
  • n i f t y t r i c k: increasing the reverb and/or delay for the buildup, then adding a bar of silence before the drop sounds dank
  • having the melody fade out with volume or lowpass is O V E R U S E D. try fading out the high pass til the sound is inaudible.
  • back to the Sweeper™, panning can make it sound dank as well. experiment, fellow lad.

I might be adding more to this post soon, so stay tuned :wink:

7 Likes

I usually just automate everything a least a little bit, except pitch and panning which are less frequent. But you have to experiment. Best to plop a node down while the pattern is playing and move it around until you find a sweet spot, then another, etc. The good stuff comes from experimentation

Love doing that @NotMiles

1 Like

Well, I guess I found out something with automation. Gating is easiest if you build a chord that is a bar long, and then use the silence to build a rhythm.

2 Likes

REVIVE THIS THREAD!
REVIVE!

REVIVE I SAY!

reviving:;;topic…10001101000110100

topic succesfully revived

give tips

i didn’t know you knew how to speak binary

I’m going to say this one more time

STACK THE LAYERS

1 Like

too much is not good