Add proper genre and style tags on SC!

As many as you need to be accurate and relevant, but not so many that you’re presenting a spammy wall of tags.

Imo, anything above 12 genre and style tags probably isn’t adding much more relevance and value, but you could probably cover what you need in 6-8 tags.

1 Like

you could also add any artist that make similar style tracks or that you were inspired by. And as others have said already, add characteristic of your track.
Does it sound more dark or melodic than your regular tracks? tag it.
Tempo/key? tag it.
Related genres/subgenres? tag it.

I would recommend against that.
You should be very careful about using tags that might misrepresent your own tracks, especially if they appear to falsely connect your track to other artists, labels, etc…

SoundCloud Terms of Use: Your use of the Platform

(xi) You must not deliberately impersonate any person or entity or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity, for example, by registering an account in the name of another person or company, or sending messages or making comments using the name of another person.

1 Like

I dont see a problem tho.

You aren’t impersonating another artist, saying you’re connected with them or claiming to represent them in any way. Your track is in a style or was influenced by their work and there’s nothing wrong with crediting those that inspire you. (plus it might help bump your track in the “related tracks” section of said tagged artist)

(Also i’ve seen plenty of artist tag other artist’s names for style, inspiration, feel etc)

You might be right, but if SC don’t see things the same way, your account could get penalised.

It’s not unusual to see the artist’s own name added as a tag, so including the names of similar (though much more successful) artists could be confused with an attempt to directly associate the track with those artists.

Regardless of whether it’s a good practice, I don’t see why SoundCloud would have a problem with that. Obviously if your account looks exactly like another artist (impersonation), or you’re uploading their tracks (piracy), there’s a problem, but does the ToS ever say anything about tagging other artists’ names?

I do. I also see why Spinnin Records, Garrix or any other label or artist tagged might have a problem with it.

Of course, I don’t know for sure. I didn’t look to see if there were policies covering tags.
We do know that SC has policies aimed at preventing misrepresentation. Tags might be fair game.

If asked, I suspect labels would a problem with non-label artists tagging their tracks with the label, simply because that artist feels their track sounds like stuff you’d hear on that label. Same goes for artists.
I think I might have a problem, if others were tagging their music with my name.

As said, I might be wrong. Just throwing out a note of caution.

1 Like

Don’t pretend to be someone else

As a platform built with creator needs in mind, we welcome the use of stage names or professional identities on SoundCloud. However, that doesn’t mean that you can impersonate another person, or post content that is intentionally misleading. As a rough guide, you mustn’t create profiles or post content that is intended to make people think you are someone else. You must not use someone else’s name or trademark without their permission, or pretend to be associated with someone you aren’t, even if you feel that you are helping that person by doing so.

If you feel that someone is impersonating you, or is infringing your trademark rights, tell us about it.

It’s not specified ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Emphasis added)

While tags aren’t mentioned specifically, I’d say that passage covers the use of tags.

The use of tags like ‘garrix’ or ‘spinnin records’ then comes down to whether SC (or those artists and labels) believe the use of those tags are in the spirit of identifying your track as ‘similar’ or ‘in the style of’ - or as an attempt to falsely associate your track with those artists and labels.

Bottom line: Try it, see what happens. :wink:

well Urbanstep is 1 artist that’s been doing it forever, so i’m gonna stick to the “it should be fine side”