Add proper genre and style tags on SC!

What if your not quite sure what genre your song is?

Does anyone know of a place where I can find examples of a bunch of different genres or find out what genre any song is (kind of like Sound Hound, but for genres)? I haven’t posted any tracks yet, but I’m in the process of making my first album right now, and I can’t quite put a finger on what the genres of my songs are.

I agree that people should add the proper genre tags to their songs, but like me, some people might not know what the genres of their tracks are. I think having some sort of reference would help everybody in the community.

I can confirm that tagging does seem to work. First time I put a ton of tags (8ish) on a track (April Rain, non-auxy) I got lots of plays, fast. Yes, I have more followers than I used to, but I was also getting a lots of new followers and likes from people I’d never seen. I do lots of tags now.

2 Likes

Don’t tag by super specific sub-genre as the main tag. If you’re not sure, just put Electronic from the drop down. In the small tags, put your super specific genres like ‘Electro House’ or ‘Deep Future Bass’ or whatever. Also put tags like ‘Vocals’ if you’ve got vocals, ‘Guitar’ or ‘Piano’, anything that’s a characteristic of your song. Heck, even put ‘X BPM’ or something.

2 Likes

If you make the SoundCloud genre “Auxy”, it has the potential to show up on the “Auxy” SoundCloud tag page if it gets enough traffic. (Not really sure how their algorithm works, but the only way that it’s possible to show up on that page is if the genre is “Auxy”).

P.S. This is not a tip for getting more plays, just a random note :stuck_out_tongue:
P.P.S. Here is an actual tip for getting more plays:

3 Likes

I’d say post the track on the forum and ask for input on the genre.
Then, once there’s a consensus that you feel fits, update your SoundCloud post.

(It’s great/better to have tags when posting here, but it’s actually important to have them on SC.)

+ you can always update the title of your forum post here when you find the right genre(s). :+1:

1 Like

I’d recommend against making it the primary genre tag.
It’ll still appear in the Auxy tag page if it’s somewhere in the secondary tags.

Much better to make the primary genre something relevant to the audience for that genre.

The fact that a track was made with Auxy is less important than its main genre (and its sub-genres).

The potential audience for (e.g.) dubstep is much larger than for ‘auxy’.

1 Like

Really? :open_mouth: I tried that a couple months ago and it didn’t show up, even with a really obscure tag like “iuhrihguh”.

I agree, and for this reason I stopped doing that a while ago, but I just meant that if you use Auxy as the genre tag it can show up on the tag page.

1 Like

I get that, but the audience for ‘auxy’ is likely < 500 people, realistically speaking, most of whom are other members here – who will likely see the track post on the forum.

So, better (imo) to use the forum to announce to other Auxy users, and focus SC tags on the genre audiences (but still include Auxy as an extra tag on SC).

2 Likes

Oh yeah, of course. I wasn’t really suggesting people do that, it was more of just something I found out a while back. (I guess it’s confusing, I’ll edit the post)

1 Like

Okay, gonna go through all my tracks and tag them the best I can. Thanks for the tip :wink: :+1:

2 Likes

This post is as sacred as the Bible to me. It’s quite dumb to expect good traffic when you just upload tracks like your setting up an easter egg hunt; having people click on tracks and hearing something without actually knowing what they’re listening to.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, Some people just might not know what genre it is. There’s not always an easy way to find that out at first. Could be part of the problem now. I see plenty of posts asking “what genre is this?” Around.

1 Like

At the very least please don’t set the genre on your tracks with a completely unrelated descriptor… such as your producer name :wink:

It doesn’t help you to show up more on search results and it’s actually very annoying for people browsing your music because they can’t get an idea for what genre your tracks are. More likely to drive them away then to help your cause.

1 Like

Even if you don’t know the genre, put electronic (I’m assuming we’re writing electronic music, right?) and put tags of elements of the track. Breakbeats? Great tag. Bass heavy? Put bass. Put the tempo. Strings, guitar? Use those as tags. It doesn’t have to be tagged as “progressive hip post hop abstract lofi house” or whatever.

1 Like

For sure. Though the point then becomes that you shouldn’t leave your SC track with no meaningful genre tags.

If you don’t know, ask for input.

1 Like

roughly how many would we be aiming for? also doing #tuffluv makes you look like a fast food company

1 Like

As many as you need to be accurate and relevant, but not so many that you’re presenting a spammy wall of tags.

Imo, anything above 12 genre and style tags probably isn’t adding much more relevance and value, but you could probably cover what you need in 6-8 tags.

1 Like

you could also add any artist that make similar style tracks or that you were inspired by. And as others have said already, add characteristic of your track.
Does it sound more dark or melodic than your regular tracks? tag it.
Tempo/key? tag it.
Related genres/subgenres? tag it.

I would recommend against that.
You should be very careful about using tags that might misrepresent your own tracks, especially if they appear to falsely connect your track to other artists, labels, etc…

SoundCloud Terms of Use: Your use of the Platform

(xi) You must not deliberately impersonate any person or entity or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity, for example, by registering an account in the name of another person or company, or sending messages or making comments using the name of another person.

1 Like