Accessibility for Visually Impaired Musicians

Hello Auxy Programmers,

I am an award winning music producer who loves your app and use it daily. I work with and advocate for many musicians with special needs. My studio partner is visually impaired and is an accessibility ambassador for Native Instruments. Native Instruments is on the leading edge of accessibility with their NKS format on their Komplete Kontrol Keyboards. For visually impaired individuals, it has been a very long difficult road to get electronic musical instrument and software makers to create platforms that somewhat even the playing field for blind musicians. With the great strides that are being taken by companies like Native Instruments, It may be a good idea for the makers of such an awesome mobile music production platform like Auxy to consider making the apps more accessible for blind musicians. As an advocate for blind musicians and performers, this is a humble request to continue to innovate and even the playing field for ALL musicians and producers who wish to use MOBILE music making platforms. Let’s start with Auxy. We are willing to provide contacts and resources to make this happen. Let us Know!

Sincerely and Anonymously,

Rvfvs Bvck

11 Likes

@Fredrik @Auxy

3 Likes

The modesty tho :joy:

I think you’ve got a great idea here. I hope that our developers would consider it (talk to @Fredrik for more information on the technical side, as he’s the main developer and Lenberg is taking a mysterious leave of absence), but you’ve got my support.

5 Likes

What exactly makes software for music accessible for the visually impaired? Not being a jerk, legit curious have actually wondering this for some time now

5 Likes

I imagine something like a track pad would help someone visually impaired. eg: Korg Kaossilator.

Oh yeah, I’ve got a Kaossilator stuffed in my drawer somewhere.

6 Likes

I’d probably guess the same sort of accessibility things for other devices, such as spoken voice, fancy braille compatibility, that sort of thing? I’m not entirely sure either.

3 Likes

Lemme share a cool story with everyone.

Before I got an iPhone 4 I had a Kaossilator. I believe @Db909 knows the deal here. Anyway, this thing helped me with my commute so much, for like $149 bucks or so it was the penultimate for a while until I got the iPhone. The VERY first app I ever bought was Nanostudio back in 2011. I’ve pretty much been 100% iOS since. With that said, I’m no guru, I’m no production master, but I know my way around the ecosystem and there are a few others here who are more than happy to help you guys and gals out. There’s plenty of apps and hardware that play very well with Auxy and the folks around here who know are more than happy to show you what apps compliment.

2 Likes

I want one now. Gimme x3

2 Likes

There is a lot to be said for hardware. Physical knobs, buttons, keys - it makes a big difference. I am missing this very much on Auxy,

1 Like

I’ve been watching channels like 8-bit keys lately and i’m like… I NEED THIS SOUND GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME.

I wish I was around in the 80’s to have some of this stuff… now it’s all so expensive when people know how much it’s actually worth xD

3 Likes

8-bit keys is so awesome.

3 Likes

Here’s the thing though – software rivals hardware, AFAI… C. Software has come a long way, you have to bear in mind that technology has advanced quite a bit. I’m not poo-pooing these super classic synths, I’m not - for nostalgia reasons, for original build reasons, for just the overall glam reasons (it’s kind of like when you used to buy a record or CD, you got the read the liner notes, any art that was included, the smell, ETC - all things earlier generations are missing out on for better or worse). But, software has come a long way and you can, for considerably cheaper or free, get the same exact thing, for the most part, in a software rendition. Some of these soft synths are SCARY accurate, down to the signal path, and to be honest, it’s very impressive. You have to bear in mind that people thirty years ago paid near thousands, thousands PLUS dollars for these things that are SUPER replicated down to the signal path for cents on the dollar. Just look at what Moog does if you don’t believe (Model D and Model 15 – it’s exact? No – it’s close enough? Likely).

NOT that I’m saying you don’t believe this, I think you’re one of the few people who look outside what’s going on here, but, I’m speaking generally. There is a brush for each application.

2 Likes

I had been thinking of this recently. It’s our job as people who are blessed with clear eye vision to assure people who lack the same privledge are still able to participate in the beautiful recreational activity of making music. I hope this leads to something good for all! :heart:

5 Likes

gotta say qualifications sometimes :fairy:t2:‍♀️

2 Likes

Simply, in iOS and OS X VoiceOver is built into the OS. Sometimes you have apps where Voiceover does not give enough information due to programming. For instance, when my partner goes into his contacts on the iPhone, it literally will speak everything on screen based on his input/gestures on the touch surface. For a sighted person to select something, we generally just press it. With Voiceover, you touch once to hear the option and tap twice to select the option. its all based on gestures like taps and swipes. In Auxy on iOS there are only a few things that prompt speech from Voiceover. Even the title of the project says “possible text: Project Name”

5 Likes

I just wanted to make it clear that I was a serious and committed musician/producer and user of Auxy. Not bragging, as award winning is pretty vague considering…I guess I could have just used the word professional or maybe just went straight to the point. Sorry if I offended anyone. I appreciate being a part of this community of music makers and lovers…

Thank You for your support.

8 Likes

I don’t think you have offended anyone, and your request is a valid one. I hope that such accessibility can be considered in the future, even if it may not seem like it’s important to people who don’t need such an option I can absolutely see how it is useful for those who would need it.

3 Likes

AAAAAA I LOVE HIM TOOOO BOI
(Ja it is complete sentence)

3 Likes