A little help with Reverb!

I think the “new” reverb is often way too much.

I have a hard time getting the results I use to be able to get before the update that allowed us to manipulate the Size, Decay, Damping, etc… Before, I could just turn up the verb, and it was g2g.

Now, I usually end up having to turn the verb knob down to 1 or 2, or just not use it at all. I’ve been experimenting with it for a while - thinking I’d eventually get the hang of it, but I’m still having issues.

I’ve tried turning the size/decay down and the damping up, but alas, I still can’t get the sound I want.

I just want a good/simple verb for my leads, snares/hats.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

Auxy community - where do YOU normally set your verb for leads? Snares?
Where do you set the lowpass? highpass?

Thanks!

5 Likes

Its like very weird for a drum sample when you turn the reverb up even just a little bit it almost sounds like its on full

9 Likes

YES. That’s exactly how I feel!

I posted something about this a while back and an Auxy moderator said, “But it’s the same reverb…”

A few people thought it was funny…

At least now I know I’m not crazy, lol

5 Likes

this is what I usually set my reverb to for instruments! not a lot but not too much. It’s what I used for my second round auxy tournament submission for the piano!

and this:

is what I’d set it to for my drums! Most specifically the snare and rides. I like to add reverb to my rides to create a slight tail to connect each ride so they don’t sound ‘stocky’, as well as to create a coherent movement on each placement. As for the snares, I tend to overly use reverb on my snares to give it that extra power but if you’re looking for a more general and pre auxy 5 type of reverb, I think the setting I’ve listed above is similar.

I had to tweak with the settings a lot because the Decay and Size on the reverb settings creates a lot of dimension; as if you’re playing an instrument in a giant empty parking lot, whereas Damping and Size just almost creates a delay, similar to the 1/64 delay but more blended. Decay is the key to creating that pre auxy 5 reverb and I’ve found out using the high pass and low pass filters on those settings actually levels out how powerful that decay is in general, so a combination of all those worked well with that.

Hope that helps!

9 Likes

Yeah! Thanks!

This helps a bunch.

Honestly, I’m a bit surprised you sometimes set your instrument verb size to 100.
Just seems like a lot to me at times, but I’ll definitely give these a try!

3 Likes

When we updated all the sounds we noticed that we had forgotten to compensate for a gain change that we do before the effect section. So the reverb level is relatively higher than before. It might be that the curvature for the reverb knob is a bit different for drums than for other instruments though. Will investigate to see if it needs tweaking. In any case, this just means that the dial is a bit different, but you should still be able to get the same settings.

5 Likes

Volume higher than default, then fine tune pass dials at low levels, then adjust pass in advanced reverb.

1 Like

Yeah I can confirm:

So I opened an old project link of mine from last year and it had a drum kit. When I tapped ‘Update’ for the samples, the reverb for the snare was way higher (without adjusting any dials)

https://app.auxy.co/projects/67KU0fsML6IA3MNWJf0hfQ==